We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

We will be visiting Fes in a few weeks. Because of all the tips on Tripadvisor we will explore the Medina on our own. For sure we want to have a look at the tanneries. We know we need to go through a shop to have a good view on the tanneries. We also saw the reviews of the Terrasse de Tanneurs on Tripadvisor. Is this the only shop which offers a view on the tanneries or are there any more shops? When there are more shops, which one offers the best view? Thanks for your help, Cor TT

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

I agree it's alright to pay something when you only visit the shops to take pictures. But when they start asking money even before you have seen the tanneries and their shop it makes me angry. And that's exactly what the men of shop nr. 10 did. Maybe it's "chano" who is the owner of this shop and places his recommendations here on Tripadvisor. For us the tanneries were a big dissapointment because of all the scams. As the owner of our Riad explained, the terracces are for free and it should be up to the visitors what they give when they don't buy anything.

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

They are all okay for viewing. I take people to number 6 and warn them they do not have to buy anything. Nobody asks for money just for taking photographs. Leather products are easier ti buy in the Talaa Sgira or Talaa kbira than the tanneries,,,

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

Don't make me laugh: "nobody is asking money for taking pictures". They ALL do. But they don't understand they ruin their own business by behaving this way. Tourists hate this and will avoid Morocco the next time. This is exactly what Morocco gave such a bad name in the tourist industry.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

Sorry you had a bad experience CorTT, but it is laughable that you suggest I would be the owner of this shop...I would think at least my level of English would tip you off to the fact that I am not a "local". I know the place, and have never had a bad experience, although there is always pressure to buy, you just have to know how to handle it. Out of curiosity, how much did they demand of you?

Amazingly enough, despite the bad behavior and bad name, tourists are still coming to Morocco, and Fez, more than ever before. So at least some people must be coming away with positive experiences.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

I visited three different shops to try to get quality photos of the tanneries - and had no issues at all! The first shop I was taken to by a guide, given the spiel by the shopkeeper, then he left me alone to take photos. I gave him 10 MAD although I wasn't asked for anything. The second shop I went into of my own accord, took photos and again wasn't asked for any money, although I did give a little. The third had the best views and so I offered money which was gratefully received. At no time did I receive any pressure or hassle. I'm surprised to hear that others have had problems.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

@MrsSchwez can you please give the names of the 3 shops you visited to get good views of the Fez tanneries? I will be visiting Fez in a few weeks and would really appreciate the information. Thanks!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

Hi MCagz00,

I'd love to be able to help you but I'm afraid I can't. As far as I'm aware the shops didn't seem to have names. I just stumbled across them when out walking in the area of the tanneries. Guys were waiting for tourists out on the street to take them to their particular shop and I just went with someone who was friendly and not pushy. Sorry I can't be more specific. I just think you have to choose one and if they urge you to buy from their shop just admire the goods but say you don't want to buy anything. I think politeness goes a long way. Enjoy your visit to this lovely city.

18. Re: Which shop has the best views on the tanneries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16