We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

After reading reviews and looking at photos for both these places, I'm really torn between these two hotels -- they both seem exquisite and absolutely beautiful (each in their own way). Has anyone stayed or visited both and could compare the two?

Dar Seffarine is like a museum, and feels authentic (and also less expensive), but I'm concerned that after a 7-9 hour drive from Erg Chebbi, I'll want to relax in a modern facility with a spacious bathroom and eat dinner either in my room or in a regular restaurant or bar in the hotel. Note that I will be traveling in February so a little concerned that the heating system in an old property such as Dar Seffarine might not be sufficient to keep us warm. Riad Fes seems more appealing in that aspect, but I'm worried that I'll be missing some of the Moroccan authenticity offered by Dar Seffarine. I suppose I could request a room in the old/traditional wing of Riad Fes.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

Hi,

Try sending a message via their profiles to a couple of reviewers of both places with specific questions. I'd be surprised if you find anyone who has stayed at both but you never know. Good luck.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

I know both very well and I can tell you that they couldn't be further apart from each other. Seffarine would be my choice for the authenticity and beauty of the restoration, the warmth of the staff and the location right by the Kairouine mosque, but it sounds like you are leaning more towards the comforts of Riad Fes, which as you point out is a Relais Chateaux property, and so meets the kind of standards required of the brand. At Seffarine there's no "room service", restaurant (although the communal home cooking is some of the best in the city) or bar...and this is entirely the point. Seffarine is a home, Riad Fes is a hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

Thanks for all of the information -- I ended up booking at Seffarine!

4. Re: Riad Fes (Relaix & Chateaux) vs. Dar Seffarine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:17