We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Montreal, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Help!

Hello,

I have been reading many of the comments and questions and am getting overwhelmed. These questions have probably asked before but i can't seem to find answers to all of my questions, so here I go, please be patient with me. :)

We (6 of us, women in their 30's & 40's)will be travelling to Morocco in October for about 9-11 days. I now know that i should do 4 days and 3 nights in the dessert in order to have a good not too rushed experience. We would like to see Marrakesh, Fes and the dessert, i think these are the must sees.

I need your help building the itinerary. We can fly into Casablanca or Marrakesh or fly into one city and fly out the other.

Does this itinerary seem ok?

Casablanca (day of arrival, International flight) should we spend the night? Or take the train from the airport and go straight to Fes

Fes ( 1 or 2 nights)

Camel Trek(3 nights) which trek should we be looking at if we are in Fes?

Marrakesh 3 or 4 nights? Flying out of Marrakesh

Are we missing anything major? I know this is all very subjective, we basically want to get a good feel for the country.

Enjoy, sightseeing, shopping and massages so if anyone has suggestions regarding these themes all very much appreciated. Thank you very much for your time!

Ploiesti, Romania
Level Contributor
49 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Back in 2010 I did something similar. I arrived in Marrakesh and flew out from Fes after spending 1 night in Casa, so I think your plan is more than ok. I would advice you to go straight to Fez (skip Casablanca) and spend 1-2 days there. But apart from the sightseeing there isn't much to do in Fez. In my opinion you can also skip it and go to Marrakesh (or, easier, just land there), as there is the heart and soul of Morocco. Marrakesh is full of tourists ans very lively day and night. From Marrakesh you can go on a trip to the desert (way better to start it here than is Fez), Ouzazarte, the valley with the waterfalls, the Atlas Mountains, Essaouira and/or Agadir. Many things to see and do around it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

We're spending 13 days in Morocco in August-September and are doing pretty much the same thing as you, albeit spending more time in Fez. We fly into Casablanca at 1:45pm and will then power through and catch the train to Fez on the day we arrive.

We'll spend 5 nights in Fez and then do a cross-Sahara tour over 4 days/3 nights, arriving in Marrakech, where we spend 4 nights, before heading back to Casablanca (we used miles for the flights and couldn't find anything from Marrakech).

I've done a fair amount of research and this itinerary worked best for us!

Have a great time!

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

Four of us holidayed in Morocco recently. Your plans sound exciting! We spent one night in the Erg Chebbi dunes near Merzouga in a desert camp and had a wonderful time. We were happy with just the one night though - plenty more to do. As well as Fes and Marrakech, I wouldn't miss Rabat, Chefchaouen, or Essaouira. All very special places. We were very well looked after by Hamid and Youssef of Morocco Expert Tours if you're looking for guidance. They were very helpful when planning the itinerary, totally flexible both before and during the trip, very reliable and pleasant and certainly made our holiday a carefree one. Enjoy your trip!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

If you have 9-11 days in Morocco so the best would be that for example to land in Fes and stay there a few nights. You can take and look to Meknes, Volubilis or find other day trips from there - your hotel can help you.

Then you can take Supratour overnight bus (unless you are not going to rent a car of course) and go to Erg Chebbi where you can spend one or two nights. Thereafter still with Supratour go to Tinerhir and Todra Gorge. Maybe you will get time even for Dades. Then continue to Ouarzazate Ait Benhaddou and after that to Marrakech. Expect at least 4 days for this trip between Fes and Marrakech, so make careful your itinerary.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

Spent 11 days in Morocco earlier this year also with a group of friends. Loved the alleyways and markets of Fes, a great experience not to be missed. Found Marrakech, still exciting but much busier. We spent a lot of time jumping out of the way of motor bikes inside the market! Spent a night in the desert out from Merzouga, wonderful camel guide and lovely night in the desert camp but I have to say a couple of hours on the camel each way was long enough for me. Took a few moments to straighten up again after getting off! I agree with Joc329 that if you're looking for a local tour company to help you plan your trip you can't go past Hamid and Youssef at Morocco Expert Tours. Had a great trip with them, very well organised. Hope your trip is as memorable as ours. Happy planning.

Cebu City...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

Hi Khamlia,

I find your suggested itinerary Fes to Marrakech very ideal. However, we need your help on how to plan this.

May I ask how we can do the 4 day trip on Supratour to Tinerhir and Todra Gorge. Then Dades to Ouarzazate Ait Benhaddou and after that to Marrakech. Like, where do we get off each place and where do you suggest we stay the night, etc. What is worrying is we have our luggage with us!

I've read in the threads about getting/arranging with a tour company. Do you think that would be too costly? There will be 3 of us traveling. Any idea how much would the be cost if by Supratours vs. tour company?

Thank you Khamlia for any advice you could give. We'd very much appreciate any assistance.

Kristine

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

Kristine,

you want to do 4 days trip from Fes to Marrakech? By bus it can be problematic to coordinate it, if you wish to see all you write about. The best would be to rent a car, then you can do it almost without problem, even if it will be stressful anyway. Or take the bus, but skip something, you can never manage to see both Todra Gorge and Dades.

Otherwise by bus - take overnight bus from Fes to Erg Chebbi, then one night in sand dunes. Next morning you have to take the bus early about 8.00AM to Tinerhir and stay over night there. Next day continue to Ouarzazate. From there take taxi to Ait BenHaddou. Then back to Ouarzazate and by bus to Marrakech.

If you take tour company it can be quite big costly even if you are 3, I believe. On other way they can do your trip in 4 days. But I have no experience by tour company, I never use them, I prefer to be independent.

Look at www.oncf.ma, there you find both time schedule and prices.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 22:05
Cebu City...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!

Big help there, Khamlia!

4 days with that does look rather tight. Is it a good idea just to head directly to Erg Chebbi /Merzouga?

Thanks very much!

Kristine

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!

Tight it is on the way from Merzouga to Marrakech, not from Fes to Merzouga (there you take a overnight bus).

1 day - arrive at morning to Merzouga, afternoon camel trek over night

2 day - back from sand dunes - you can try to find the bus to Tinerhir from Erfoud afternoon around 17.00 (it is one other, not Supratour bus, but I don't know the line name)

3 day - about 14.00 from Tinerhir to Ouarzazate (you have to skip Todra or Dades)

4 day - to Marrakech - the bus leave Ouarzazate at 16.00

So if you can do so it could be almost OK even if tight.

Cebu City...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!

Thanks so much for the detailed itinerary. Will take your suggestion and find the bus company.

That was really helpful Khamlia.

Kristine