We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money question for Morocco

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Money question for Morocco

Hi so flying into fez next week spending a week in Morocco. Having been before i remember just changing money at the airport when i arrived but can´t remember if i paid commission or not. Now i have been told by a friend that he got a better rate when he withdrew from an atm. Is it expensive to change money at the airport or should we wait to go to the centre and find a money shop of sorts to change euros. I also read that the atms generally only dispense 100 and 200 dirham notes so is that then difficult to change in a shop. Its just we would like to have the local currency leaving the airport. maybe just enough until we get to our hotel

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money question for Morocco

You may find a better rate in town but usually it is not that different in the airport

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money question for Morocco

True, ATMs dispense 100s & 200s.

Any small purchase will get you the smaller denominations dirhams you are looking for.

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money question for Morocco

ATMs work fine but be sure to notify your bank you are going to Morocco before leaving. The max amount per time I was able to get was 2000 DH for which I was charged USD 7.15. I got another 2000 by doing the transaction again and was once again charged the fee. However the rate was around the same as what the hotel was providing.

I found credit card conversions slightly worse although there is no foreign transaction fee ion my card. All in not much difference on the way you Officially transfer money in Morocco. ATMs are very convenient.

4. Re: Money question for Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:16