We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

I would very much appreciate the input of anyone who has experience Eid el Adhar/Kabir when in Fes. I think the date this year is around the Sat 4th or Sun 5th of October.

A friend and I are planning to visit Morocco - Fes, Meknes, Chefchaouen area - late Sept/early Oct and we've just thought about the Eid and wondering about the potential impact on our trip. At the moment we are very much at the planning stage and nothing is booked, although we are rather restricted to limited dates if we are to do this trip this year. We need more information on how the Eid is celebrated in the local area. How it may impact on public transport, eating out, tourist sites etc. We are both interested in cultural/religious events and would have no problems possibly being restricted to a point for a couple of days but equally can't afford the time to just sit around one place for too long. Perhaps one town would be more inclusive to us as visitors than another! (By that I mean perhaps we would have a better chance to witness/experience the Eid along with local people in one town more than another.)

We have read the information posted on the Top Questions for the Morocco Forums, and done some searches, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who experienced Eid more location specific (so will be posing the same question on more than one Moroccan forum). Thanks.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

Eid is fairly disruptive for tourists…in the major cities, even in Marrakech, everything shuts down and visiting the medinas are moot, for the actual day of Eid (the celebration really goes on for 3 or more days). A lot of people take this time off either for the celebration or to do the hajj..if you want to join in the slaughter you'd probably be better off staying in Fes than Marrakech I think, Fes is much more traditional and the medina still has a larger Moroccan-Foreigner ratio. Trying to travel on Eid using public transport is a nightmare, stay put somewhere for a few days.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

Chano, thank you for your reply.

Marrakech is definitely off the list on this visit as we are intending to base ourselves more northerly. Depending on our final choice of destinations our travel plan would be either to fly in and out of the same airport and do a circular route or perhaps arrive/depart from different airports and do a zigzag route between them. Trying to make sure we are in the right town for at least a couple of nights over the Eid is now perhaps a priority. We don't need tourist night life but we do need to eat and be able to suitably occupy ourselves in the daytime!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

boringFS - you are well informed about Marrakech, central and coastal Morocco and I fully understand why you would wish to visit different regions in Morocco as I have done over the years. But I cannot allow the naïve comment of chano to pass without comment - "Fes is much more traditional and the medina still has a larger Moroccan-Foreigner ratio" The second clause is completely untrue. In Marrakech the Eid festival only lasts a day with most things opening in the evening of Eid el Adha and the rest the following day. Where you wish to continue your travels in Morocco boringFS I wish you happy excursions. The north is far more parochial, navel gazing and religiously intolerant (at least in my opinion). Others of course will disagree.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

Trains and buses are very busy around Eid. You will need to buy your tickets in advance if you want to be in first class on the train, otherwise you will have to cram yourselves into the overflowing second class carriages.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

Pilobolus, thanks for your comments. They have underlined the reason why I've posted my question on a few relevant 'local' forums. The information I'd so far gathered was rather general and/or conflicting. I had hoped I may get more response from those who live in or have visited those places during Eid Kabir in the past. We are not worried about being in Morocco over Eid, we just need to make sure that we plan it so that we make the most of our time as well as the eid.

I do have an open invitation to spend eid with Moroccan friends which in many ways would be great, however their town is realistically too far off for this visit if we are to see all we want (which we still won't manage) in the north.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

heresmyreply, thanks for the heads up about the trains. I've not used the first class in Morocco but think we'd only do that if we were to travel for any length of time, which we are really trying to cut down as much as possible. It's a good point to bear in mind though given the eid and our luggage.

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

I am planning to fly to Marrakech (not booked yet) on 4th October and take the train to Fes on 5th October.

This is the first time I have heard of Eid and wondered if I should change my plans and fly in a week later?

Any thoughts?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

If you have not booked then it makes sense to go the week after

9. Re: Eid el Adhar/Kabir 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:16