We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
546 reviews
Save Topic
Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Hi all

Been to Morocco a few times with friends, Marrakech, Rabat and Casablanca. As Ryanair are flying to Fes in December for less than £60 we are thinking of coming for 3 nights. Worried there is not much to see or do apart from the medina (so many market stalls you can go too)

Is there anything else to do or see? Shall we not bother? In June we went Rabat for 3 nights then Casablanca for 2, had fun and time went quick but was just right for us.

Thank you in advance

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

I'm looking at going for about 3 days soon myself. I can't reel off all the names of places of interest but I doubt my friend and I will complete half our final list and that will only include a fraction of the places and things to see and do as far as I can tell so far. So far we've really only planned our main route in Morocco but we've both started looking in guide books and are wondering if we should allow ourselves based longer there.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

At first when I saw your question, Husain K, I thought it must be a spoof! There is so very much do in and around Fes. Take a lead from boringFS and have a look at a guide book. Then perhaps come back with more detailed questions; I'm sure plenty of people in this forum would be happy to answer them.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Thanks Alan. I have had a look at various online guides, even looked through the attraction list on Tripadvisor and cannot find anything. I love Morocco, the food, people, atmosphere but just not sure if I should book it.

I can see there is the madina, blue gate, tannery (seen in Marrakech) but nothing else. We find gardens boring.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

You think Fez, one of the imperial cities of Morocco, might be boring. And you live in Leicester, famous for Leicester Palais and the De Montfort Halls? LOL.

knowhere.co.uk/Leicester/…worstthings

I lived in Fez for several months whilst learning Arabic. Would happily spend several more months there.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

I'm still not sure if you're being serious, Husain. Perhaps the online guides are letting you down! Even if you were to get bored in Fes, at least the possibilities for day trips out of the city might raise your interest. Consider Sefrou, Meknes and Volubilis. If these don't do it for you, maybe you should just go back to Casablanca and Rabat!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Casa and Rabat.....possibly the 2 most draining and uninteresting places in Morocco IMHO.

Fes on the other hand is one of the craziest, strangest and most interesting places I've ever been!

But......If you’re after bars, western shops and all the other western orientated stuff that Casa and Rabat offers then yes Fes will be “boring” and I’d suggest getting a bus straight to Agadir (or going to Spain). If you’re interested in history, culture, good Moroccan food, crazy streets and feeling like you’ve just landed in another century then it’s going to be off the charts!

So it depends on what you’re in to.......westernised Moroccan cities that offer the comforts of home but in a Muslim environment, or a real experience of Moroccan life and culture, which Fes has in bucket loads.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

I would like to apologise if I have offended anyone as it seems I have!! Yes it was a genuine question. I do not go out drinking/bars/clubs. I like to sight see. In Marrakech there was lots, Rabat, we went to the Zoo, medina and local sites, Casablanca there was the amazing mosque, beach and market.

When I look at Fes from what I have seen and read, there is the market and a tannery. The reason why I asked. We do not mind the market but do not enjoy going to gardens and walking around in circles.

Sorry if I have upset anyone with my question. I said before I do love the food/atmosphere and general experience.

When we went Rabat and Casablanca, we struggled with language as we do not speak arabic or french and really did struggle, I am guessing Fes will be even more difficult so wont be able to communicate much to get to certain places, so would prefer to walk to things we want to do or see.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Hi, Husain!

There really is no need to apologise, at least not to me. I was not offended by your comments, only bemused! I hope you have heard enough to decide to go to Fes. If you did go, I think you would have a very good time. (I speak as someone, like yourself, who is not interested in drinking, bars and clubs).

I can't advise you, however, on how widespread the English language is in the city. I do speak a fair amount of French and can't now remember which language we used. Nonetheless, I would urge you to have faith in your ability to communicate with others even when you have no common language at all. Take a risk - it's all part of the adventure!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Also me I am going next time to Fes where I never have been before, only at the airport, of some reason, I self not know which reason, but Fes have lain at the bottom of my list of places in Morocco to visit. So I am very curious how it will be LOL. Hope I will enjoy it.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 19:10
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Fes boring? Much to see?

Husain......I’ll second Alan on that.... no need to apologise!

It’s great to get a question that stirs up the bees nest. That’s when we have the best rants and raves about places. Nice to see something other than “is it safe” and “what’s the food like in the Rui Tikka”!

From what you’ve said, I think Fes may be a little samey if you’re not in to wandering medinas as there really isn’t much to do other than walk streets looking at old buildings, tanneries and religious sights. Marrakesh does have more diversity in what it offers, and Rabat and Casa do offer plenty of things other than old streets.

Maybe try going to Agadir, which does have a good market, and offers good beaches and eating, but it’s also great for day trips out to various sights which will be more interesting that just wandering the streets of Fes.