We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez Acccomodation

Which Fes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fez Acccomodation

Hi

Planning to visit Fez in Feb, would this be a good time? Does anyone have any comments on Riad Sara, am eager to know. What are the local places that are worth a visit?

Thank you

Thomas

1. Re: Fez Acccomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2007, 12:36
Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Do you mean places within the city of Fes, monuments, restaurants, etc., or do you mean areas around Fes like other villages?

I've only ever heard of Riad Sara in name, nothing from anyone whose ever stayed there.

Essex
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Hi

Villages close to Fez,,,place that could be visited as a day trip from Fez.

Thanks

Thomas

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fez Acccomodation

The obvious suggestions are Sefrou, Azrou, and Ifrane, taking in the cedar forests with its barbary apes, or a visit to Meknes and the Roman ruins of Volubilis (noteworthy for its mosaics), the holy village of Moulay Idriss. A bit further away would be Chefchaouen (about 3 hrs with your own transport), or one of my favorites that doesn't get a lot of attention from visitors, the Gouffre de Friouatou, one of the largest caverns in North Africa (about 2 hrs away near the town of Taza).

Essex
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Chano....thanks for your suggestions...

thomas

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Never stayed at Riad Sara but can personally recommend Dar Seffarine and Dar El Hana.

Definitely bring lots of warm clothes as when the sun goes down the temperature drops very fast.

Get the From Bab to Bab book for walks in the medina as it also has the best map to help you when you get lost.

Essex
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Chano as per your suggestion....

Could I cover Sefrou, Azrou, and Ifrane in a single day, if I have an own transport, approx how much would it cost....

Azrou, is said to be the best place to buy carpets, is this correct....??? any suggestions...

How far is Meknes from Fez, what is the best way to reach Meknes, is there anything to see in Meknes...?

Gouffre de Friouatou, would that need a day to visit, what is the best way to rech Taza,,,,and what would it cost approx...

I will be at Fez, for 5 day, it it worth the visit to rabat or Casablanca?? would train be the best option, how long do they take, and how frequent are the trains...

Is there any Hammams that you would recommend in fez, any customs that need to be kept, and any other details....if you have any...

thanks in advance....

Thomas_plant

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Thomas, did you get a reply to your last post to Chano? I have similar questions, as my husband and I will be visiting Fez in early March.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fez Acccomodation

"Could I cover Sefrou, Azrou, and Ifrane in a single day, if I have an own transport, approx how much would it cost...."

Yes you could, though it would be a pretty long day and I would skip Sefrou and concentrate on the other two, plus giving yourself some time for the cedar forests and barbary monkeys, and/or Dayet Auwa (the lake). Cost in terms of hire car or car with driver?

"Azrou, is said to be the best place to buy carpets, is this correct....???"

Prices are much lower but I personally don't really care for that particular style of carpet, you have wider selection in Fes and of course, higher prices, bargain like mad!

"How far is Meknes from Fez, what is the best way to reach Meknes, is there anything to see in Meknes.?"

54 Kilometers, the train, and besides a walk around the medina, visit the Masoleum of Moulay Ismail, the Royal Palace, the Stables, and of course, try to see nearby Volubilis.

"Gouffre de Friouatou, would that need a day to visit, what is the best way to rech Taza,,,,and what would it cost approx..."

It is pretty much a day trip in itself, you can reach Taza by train and then negotiate a taxi to take you to the Gouffre. Sounds like you should hire a car for a few days, it may be your best option....

"I will be at Fez, for 5 day, it it worth the visit to rabat or Casablanca?? would train be the best option, how long do they take, and how frequent are the trains..."

With the day trips you have in mind, and the city of Fes itself, I wouldn't bother with Rabat, and certainly not with Casa. Nonetheless, train is the best for both and timetables (horaires) are at www.oncf.ma

"Is there any Hammams that you would recommend in fez, any customs that need to be kept, and any other details....if you have any..."

There is one up by Bab Boujeloud which is ok, I prefer the hammam opposite the Ain Azliten car park on the Talaa Kbira. Men can go in the morning until around noon and after 8:30 until 11 or so. You may need to bargain for the price but you shouldn't pay more than 40-50 dirhams for the hammam, exfoliating scrub, massage, etc. It can be done for less but I err on the generous side...the actual hammam itself costs a local a mere 8 dirhams!

Men strip down to their underwear in the hammam, other than that, I'm not sure what other details I can give...the hammam attendants are pretty adroit in showing you the ropes.

Essex
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fez Acccomodation

Chano

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.....

For visit to Azrou, and Ifrane ,,,,approx how much would it cost for taxi with a driver?

Thanks...hope this will be last question....

thomas