We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riad area in Medina

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
506 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Riad area in Medina

I'm on overwhelm as to the choice of Riads in the Medina; what area of the Medina is both easy to get to "sites" from and also relatively quiet? Any other suggestions? (we are 70+ years old, travel a lot, love history and "charm" in a place). Merci!

8 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,810 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riad area in Medina

The main square is noisy until 2230 or 2300. Otherwise the thick walls of a traditional riad house mean you won't hear much. Unless you are next to what sounds like a World War II air raid siren as it starts up (the call to prayer at 4 in the morning). You could use Google maps to see where the various places of interest are, and which riads are well place.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Djemaa+el+Fna+city+Marrakech/@31.6302908,-7.9969261,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0xdafee431b944415:0x42c77a994319b9ee!8m2!3d31.625641!4d-7.990183

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
506 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riad area in Medina

We actually like the muzzein call to prayer, even 4 AM. So to elaborate on my question: you say that the main square is noisy until midnightish, but that the riad walls are thick. How far away from the square should we be if we want to go to sleep at 2200?

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riad area in Medina

We stay in a residential area just off avenue antaki,last time i was there at the end of September it seemed all the children had drums which they played in the streets around the riad until gone 10pm.

I also love to hear the call for prayer, even the sunrise call, my wife uses earplugs!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riad area in Medina

Dar el Bacha is about a 10 minute walk from the square and a quiet area.

Marrakech, Morocco
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riad area in Medina

as a Marrakechi citizen, I would highly advise you to get a booking arround Riad zitoun Qdime or somewhere arround as it looks very calm enviorment and would take you 5 minutes walk to the main square.

in the maintime, live the adventure xx.

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riad area in Medina

Both shimmin's and Hamza T's suggestions are good, in that both are fairly quiet areas of the medina.

London, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riad area in Medina

Agree with hamza T. I always stay in that area. It's within medina but no confusing alleys and close to everything.

sunny devon, uk
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riad area in Medina

mouassine area - very close to the main square etc.

I would recemmend les jardins de mouassine - great place to stay.

Reply to: Riad area in Medina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted