We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it ok to rent a car in Marrakech and drive to Agadir?

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
85 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Is it ok to rent a car in Marrakech and drive to Agadir?

I am planning a trip to Marrakech and my idea is to rent a car from AVIS or Hertz, drive to Agadir, Essaouria and Cassablanca as the case may be. Is it advisable? Or would my friends in the forum recommend to hire a private taxi for the purpose?

Many thanks for your responses.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Agadir
Agadir
Souss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco
2 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,997 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it ok to rent a car in Marrakech and drive to Agadir?

Plenty of people rent cars and drive themselves around Morocco.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it ok to rent a car in Marrakech and drive to Agadir?

My husband and I just returned from a 2-week trip to Morocco. We rented a car on two occasions: for a semi-loop itinerary from Fez to Marrakech and later, from Marrakech to El Jadida (north of Essaouira as you may already know) and then up to Casablanca. No issues whatsoever, so long as you're a safe driver and that you follow the speed limit. (Driving into Casablanca was probably the most challenging part for us because we were staying on the coast and there seemed to be a lot of activity there, but apart from that, it was smooth sailing!) The roads that we were on are well-maintained, and you'll be able to take a toll road for part of your drive up to Casa. We really enjoyed the driving aspect of the trip.

One tip that I found really helpful from this forum was the suggestion to download the app 'maps.me', ensuring that you download the Morocco maps you bed before you go. It easily showed us which way to go - we even used it while hiking in the Todra Gorge! Highly recommend.

Safe travels, have an excellent time.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 14:56
Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech
Marrakech
El Jadida
El Jadida
Doukkala-Abda Region, Morocco
Essaouira
Essaouira
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Reply to: Is it ok to rent a car in Marrakech and drive to Agadir?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted