We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Riad

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Riad

Hi everyone

We are staying in Marrakesh for 3 days over Easter - can't wait! One question I do have is what is the norm regarding tipping staff at the riad. Do you do this at the end of the stay? Do you give money to the owner to distribute amongst their staff? And how much would be considered reasonable? Don't want to offend anyone....

Many thanks!

marrakech
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Riad

hi, we now have a system at our riad, whereby guests wishing to leave tips give them direct to us and we divvy it up at the end of every month, amongst the staff.

We have found in the past, that if guests give directly to the staff, this can cause conflict and bad feeling amongst them, which we could really do without!

Tipping is totally discretionary, but the average amongst our guests is approx 1000 dirhams amongst 4 members of staff for a 3 day period. That is the average, as I say, amongst our guests. Everyone is different!

enjoy!

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Riad

wow I'd like to work at your Riad!

marrakech
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Riad

as I say, everyone is different.

we do have excellent staff though :)

4. Re: Tipping at Riad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 12:21