We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Clothing

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Clothing

I'm going to Marrakech and Essouira soon and I'm getting mixed advice on what's appropriate for women to wear. I'd appreciate any advice!

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Clothing

It depends how you want to be considered!I would say dress appropriately.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Clothing

No low-cut tops, No pants/skirts, the longer the better.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Clothing

My 18 year old daughter and I were there in Jan. 07 and we wore loose fitting tops/jumpers always with a sleeve and avoided tight jeans.

Bearing in mind most of the women wear clothes that hide the female form. Even most of the men wear long pants in fact I don't recall seeing a man in shorts.

Sensible shoes are a good idea as it can be quite dusty and uneven ground when you are doing alot of walking much easier and safer.

Enjoy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Clothing

My husband and I are going to Morocco in two weeks. I'm going to leave my knee-length skirts/dresses, tank tops and short-sleeved shirts at home--even though I prefer to pack and wear these.

I've been advised to cover legs and wear 3/4 to full-length sleeves. I'm happy to comply, not out of fear of unwanted attention, but because I just want to be respectful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Clothing

While in Marrakech over New Year I mostly wore t-shirts, trousers, and knee length skirts without any problems. I felt a bit more self concious on the day when I wore a sleeveless dress, but generally I didn't feel like I was attracting any attention. Marrakech is used to tourists and is increasingly tolerant, so as long as you're not wearing vest tops and short-shorts I think you'll be fine. Enjoy your holiday!

London
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Clothing

I came back from marrakech last night and had been wearing cropped trousers in the day with either a short sleeved t-shirt or even strappy vest top and no-one batted an eyelid and there was no adverse attention.

In the evenings when we went out I was wearing knee length skirts with normal summer tops and that was fine too. Take what you feel comfortable wearing but perhaps go for the slightly more conservative part of your wardrobe.

There are so many tourists there in short shorts, bra tops etc etc that they really don't seem to notice any more and are very laid back.

Enjoy!

england
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Clothing

Have just come back from Marrakech, Essouirra and Tarroudant. I am in mid 40s and wore cut off trousers and t shirts but not very revealing tops. I was with my husband so I suppose they may look on you differently if you are a female on your own. There were some female tourists in strappy tops but mainly they were in trousers, cut offs and t shirts or baggier tops. However, on the beach in Essouirra there were women in bikinis. We met a family with two adolescent girls and they were self-conscious in Marrakech because they got some unwanted attention in jeans.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate Clothing

Hi

I have just got back from spending Easter in Marrakesh. I was prepared to cover up, but when I got there I noticed most of the tourists wearing singlet tops (no sleeves) and 3/4 length shorts. No one seemed to bat an eyelid. I have the feeling that the locals are more accustomed to seeing tourists wearing whatever so seemed to be reasonably used to it. Most of the time I was there I wore longish shorts and a t-shirt and it was fine.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate Clothing

I did not see any locals wearing shorts or short sleeves. They were pretty much fully covered from head to toe. But the story is much different when you are in a club. I went to Diamant Noir, man! the women wear very little, extremely short skirts etc. So I cannot imagine anyone cover themselves completely when they go to such place.

However, I did see quiet a few of westerns wearing shorts and short sleeves (men and women. The weather can be hot during this time of the year. I think it is safer if you cover yourself. On the other hand, if you are part of big tour group and visitng touristy places only, the story might be different.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate Clothing

I returned last week from my first visit and found that the most useful thing I packed was a pashmina - it kept my shoulders from being burnt at midday, warded off any evening chill and if I became uncomfortable as the only unveiled woman on the street it only took seconds to become 'respectable'.