We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Snakes

Im starting to plan a trip with Marrakech the desert my main worry is I'm absolutely petrified of snakes is it easy to avoid the charmers in the souks? Am I likely to encounter snakes in the desert?

8 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Snakes

It’s easy to avoid them in the city as they are only in D’Jemma al Fna in the medina. You’ll easily spot them from a distance so can still visit.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
423 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Snakes

in Marrakech, Jemaa Elfna is the only place where you can see snackes. but you musy visit it as its the main attraction in Marrakech. in Desert you have nothing to worry about.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Snakes

I hate snakes. I completely avoided them in the Square despite fully enjoying the square at all hours of the day.

Very easy

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Snakes

Same! I was worried about this but managed to avoid them!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Snakes

Hi there.

The snakes are not in the ALL big square my friends but in a very small area close-by to the grand glacier &"rue aux princes" and you get in fact in totality some few meters where you are likely to meet this poor animals.

Should not be a nuisance for the ones just doing some meters for avoiding to be near the snakes & co .

Yours,Olli.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
6. Re: Snakes

My husband is Moroccan and I asked him this very question before my first visit. He said he has never seen a snake before. Yes the snake charmers but other than that no snakes. He is from the city though. Out in the desert maybe snakes are there.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Snakes

I travel extensively in the semi-arid and arid regions of Morocco, mainly by offroad motorbike and in literally hundreds of thousands of kilometres and lots of wild camping I've never seen a wild snake. Most snakes deliberately avoid humans.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 01:20
penna
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Snakes

I have seen no wild snakes but have seen scorpions and lizards .

Reply to: Snakes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted