We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria prevention required?

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria prevention required?

I hope to be in Marrakesh in the middle of June (2 weeks from now).

I intend to go to the Palmeraie area, which I understand is an oasis of palms and parkland. Being an area of vegetation is there any risk of contracting malaria here from mosquitos? Would anti malaria medicaion be advised?

Thank you

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria prevention required?

though Morocco is not known for outbreaks of malaria, there are yearly reported cases of dengue fever from mosquito bites. best solution, DEET bug spray [OFF, etc.], long sleeves and pants for sunset & after. take your cue from the natives, they don't walk around uncovered and neither should you!! otherwise, enjoy yourself!!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
761 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria prevention required?

This quote is taken from the cdc website (http://www.cdc.gov/travel/nafrica.htm) - "A limited risk of malaria exists in parts of Algeria, Egypt, and Morocco. Taking an antimalarial drug is not recommended as the risk for travelers is considered to be extremely low. "

We were in Morocco for 8 days in March and our doctor recommended we not take the anti-malaria drugs, The Palmeraie is highly touristed, golfing community and therefore I'm guessing not high risk for malaria at all.

marrakech
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria prevention required?

hi, we live out here as a family, and never take any anti malarial meds, never have done. Don't worry about it!!

4. Re: Malaria prevention required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:21