We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

arlington, va
6 posts
Save Topic
Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

I'm planning a trip in October to Morocco and was reading some of the postings online, which have lots of great information. I'm also planning on renting a car and driving from Marrakech to Merzouga (hopefully starting from Imlil). What is the best way to break up the trip to Merzouga? We want to see the Todra Gorge too on the way and was thinking of stopping in Tinerhir or is that too far a drive on the first day? What else is worth seeing en route?

Do you recommend going all the way to Merzouga or staying the night somewhere like Rissani or Erfoud or Er Rachidia and basing from there? I also just want to book a camel trek for a few hours into the desert to see the dunes. Is this possible and is it better to do it for sunrise or sunset?

Any recommendations for a guide for the camel trek?

Do you have any idea how far it is from merzouga to Fez?

How were the roads?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Imlil
Imlil
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

We were just there in March. We had a driver take us on a similar route. We stopped in Ouazarzate over night between Marakkech and Merzouga, which we thought was a good stopping point. I would also suggest you stop and see Ait Bennhadou.

I would recommend going all the way to Merzouga rather than stopping in Rissani, etc. There are several nice auberges there. We stayed at Haven La Chance (http://www.desert-hotel.com/). We also did our camel ride through them. We did an overnight trip and it was definitely the highlight of our time in Morocco. Our camelmen were excellent!! You can do a short trek, but sunrise might be fairly early. Doing the overnight we were able to have sunset and sunrise on the dunes - spectacular!!

The drive from Merzouga to Fez was about 7 hrs. While we weren't actually doing the driving, we found the roads and signnage to be great. Signnage was always in Arabic and French so easy to follow since in French the city names are pretty much the same.

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
arlington, va
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

familyof4travels:

Thank you for the information. I will check into the auberge you mentioned in Merzouga. We may need to do the sunrise trek as the current plan is to be in Fez the evening of October 21. We're leaving Imlil (in the mountains south of Marrakech) the morning of October 19 and heading east so we only have a few days to see the Gorge and dunes. If we get into Merzouga early enough the night before, maybe we'll do a sunset ride too.

About how long was the ride from Ouarzazate to Merzouga? Did you go through any of the gorges on the way?

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Imlil
Imlil
Marrakech
Marrakech
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

I don't have the exact time from Ouzarzate to Merzouga but from my notes it looks like we left Ouzarzate about 8:30am and arrived in Merzouga about 3:30pm. Along the way we did stop at the Dades Gorge and for lunch near Rissani. We did not do any hiking around the Gorge.

Here is a link to my full trip report which you may find helpful:

www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp…

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
4. Re: Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 11:29
5. Re: Marrakech to Merzouga to Fez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 22:16