We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

Hi I'm staying for a week with my 17 year old daughter at the hotel Atlas Asni. I was feeling a little worried because everyone who has been has warned me against the men and to be inside before dark but my Lonely Planet guide paints a different picture of a pretty safe place to be. Who is right.

I'm going half board. Roughly how much cash should I take?

Any advise is gratefully received.

Thanks Ange

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

you have a credit card, not necessary to take a lot of cash, you have a lot of machines to withdraw banknotes (help me, don't know the translation in english). About your daughter, don't worry too much, of course as everywhere in the world boys and men try to chat up ??? but they are not so courageous ....Stay together and enjoy your stay ....

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

I would strongly advice you not to use your credit card, you will find that you credit card company will charge you a much less rate than you would obtain either using a debit card or using sterling.

As I have frequently stated on these forums I always take sterling notes, ensuring that they are in pristine condition (no pen marks, writing, or tears), take a back up form i.e. debit card, ATMS are widely available throughout Morocco.

As in every country of the world, Morocco is safe so long as you stay to the tourist route. You will draw a certain amount of attention with a young daughter, but it will be good humoured, just smile and walk on and you will have no trouble. There is no reason why you should stay in doors when it is dark, but do stay to the main tourist route.

You will really enjoy it, I am sure.

Have a good holiday

Liverpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

Many thanks for your advise you have set my mind at rest.

xxx
Level Contributor
228 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to Marrakesh on Sunday 1st visit

Men will look but it's light-hearted. When I'm walking with my wife even Moroccan teenage lads will look over and call her "gazelle" - a term of endearment, I should add. More worrying is the attention I get from young Moroccan girls! They are often every bit as upfront as the men; it's quite amusing. I think dressing in a way to draw attention will certainly get it as I've seen on several occasions. My view on this (and the preceived threat people sometimes feel) is that we are just not used to the friendly and conversational approach Moroccans have. I see so many tourists just ignoring the locals or waving them away with a hand gesture that it must seem rude and is bound to elicit a comment or two. It isn't that it's a not safe but more that it's very different to every day life in the UK. I reckon if you act confidently, engage in any banter and don't act like a tourist, you will have a much more rewarding experience. Enjoy