We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

Can anyone recommend a tour company or method to get a day tour of the Atlas Mountains? Our riad said they could book a driver for us to get to some places for 90 Euros (not including a guide), but I am not sure this is a good price and/or the best way to do it? We want to see a berber village, visit a market if possible, open to other suggestions? We are not looking to do a heavy duty hike, but some walking with a purpose (eg. visit waterfalls, etc.) would be OK.

Any suggestions on methods of seeing this area and/or places to see in the Atlas Mountains on a day trip from Marrakech would be appreciated.

xxx
Level Contributor
228 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

For 85 euros per person, you could go for a day trip to the Kasbah du Toubkal in Imlil which sits under the highest mountain in North Africa. You get all your travel, lunch plus a walk around local villages if you like. Lunch is taken on the roof terrace where you can enjoy stunning views of the surrounding villages and mountains. I've stayed at the Kasbah twice now and would highly recommend. Their website has more info: kasbahdutoubkal.com/travel/…excursions.html

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

you won't need a guide to Oureka. You simply need a driver who speaks English. You 'll need to take a mountain guide if you intend to hike to the watefalls. Or ypou can do it on your own if fit.

The trip usually cost between 500 dh and 600 dh for two in a taxi. A mountain guide should cost you 100 dh for 2

the whole trip should cost no more than 700 dh but you 'll have to pay for you lunch

for contact deatils check this forum for other travellers' experiences with drivers and tour companies

Marrakech
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

As in all things you pays your money and you takes your choice. The Kasbah trip is relativley expensive, but they look after you door to door. You don't get taken to a 'cousins' shop and have to enter a bargaining round. Neither do you get pestered by guides vying for your custom, nor have to negotiate the rate. Nor do you end up in aunty's house for a meal. On the the other hand going for a cheaper price, being subject to all the above and ending up paying way more then 85euros per head can give you enough tales to dine out on for a year - that's the adventure of Morocco, never dull.

Miami,Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

Does anyone know the distance from Ourika Valley ( Stop at Jardin d Issil) and The Kasbah du Toubkal in Atlas Mountains?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

the jardins d'Issil are about 13 kilomters from Marrakech ,but then you'll need to leave the amin rroad and d rive for a coiuple of miles to get there

Now to go from jardins d'issil to Imlil you need to drive to L'aagrab which is some 20 kilomters, take a right turn a and drive som 20 kilometrs to Tahanout. the road is small but tarmacked . From Tahanout to kasbah Toubkal is another 35 to 40 kilometers

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

I did some wonderful day trip last month in the Atlas mountain with my kids. one of the best one was les deux vallees. The scenery was splendid and extremly varied. we also stopped at a berber house for tea , as well as some very remote places. Our driver spoke fairly good english he was Adil from 4X4 Camel . Idon't think he has a website but his email is mferrek3@yahoo.co.uk. The price was around 1200 dirhams per day in a very confortable land cruiser.

London
Level Contributor
151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

sorry i did a mistake on the mail it is mfadil3@yahoo.com

Oslo
Level Contributor
449 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

Hi,

I booked a day trip to Atlas with imliltrek.com/day_excursions_from_marrakech.… . I did not actually travel, as I got ill and had to cancel and go to a doctor instead, but I think the company is serious and reliable. The guide (who also is the owner) came already on the evening the day before to make sure he could find the riad we were staying at. He arrived on time the day after to pick us up. Later the same day he actually called the riad just to ask how I felt, because he was worried for me!

So, if I ever come back to Marrakech, I'll surely book with him again!

9. Re: Day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 04:22