We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

London, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

I'd thought I'll warn other travellers with booking a camel trek with Amar on cameltrekking.com!!

his website is brilliant and the price is good... however be WARNED!!

He advertised his trip at 130 euros!! for a 2night and 3 day trip to merzougar via Todra Gorge and night in the desert, so i'd thought I'll book it with him as he has set dates...!! when i first enquired about it, he responded via email to me that I would have to send a deposit of 1000 dirham, and that before I send him the deposit I should make sure the dates are still available! So I confirmed the dates and asked him wat the remaining balance would be if I am paying in Dirhams. He replies saying that the balance is 1850Dirhams. .. , so i then decide to pay the deposit via western union to confirm the trip!! To my surprise The next day, out of the blue his changed his price from 130 euros to 150 Euros! and emails me telling me that the trip is now 150!... so I sent an email telling him that i thought the price was confirmed 2850 for the whole trip... !! and he replies now telling me that the trip I wanted was full but there's another dessert trip for 150 Euros...!! This was all in a space of 2/3 days!! - by this time I was fed up with his dishonesty.. as I don't want to be with a guide who I cannot trust!! - i just hope this won't happen to anyone else!!

CALIFORNIA
4 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

WITH REGARD TO LILLY VALLEY FROM LONDON:

My daughter Jess has just returned from a trip to Morocco & more specifically from several days with Omar on one of his his tours. She related to me that she felt totally safe & was treated fairly & honestly from a business point of view. Further, that she found him & members of his family that she met to be very kind & friendly. As a parent you want & hope that everyone your children meet in their travels throughout the world will treat them in this manner. As for the beautiful landscape of Morocco that Omar showed on the tour, well , my daughter was blown away. I look forward to taking one of his tours with my wife @ some point in the future.

Please consider what you write . You can impact a person's livelihood by what you post, unless people respond by questioning your stated experience.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

Hello all,

We are travelling to Marrakech this Easter for 5 days, staying at Riad Dar One!

We have followed this thread with interest over the last few days. I would comment that there do seem to be many supporters of Amar on this site. However, can I also comment that a significant number of his more vociferant supporters also seem to be first time posters.

Given the number of questionable postings on the Marrakech & Istanbul forums, should I be suspicious?

CALIFORNIA
4 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

I do not have time for this; however, as I work for myself I do understand the importance of reputation. I don't do chat rooms, facebook, or the other ones. I happen to be on the computer working & feel very strongly about this. Omar took terrific care of one of my daughters. As a father I feel it necessary to speak up for this man. As for first timers on this site, I'm not clear on the relevance of that. After my daughter apprised me of the posted complaint & directed me to this site, well, I figured I owed this to Omar for the tour & great treatment he gave my daughter.

As for the site name, Jim was taken & I wanted to get on with it.

Based on my daughter's experience with Omar's tour I would book with him, & as stated in my previous post my wife & I will when we go to Morocco.

That's All, Folks.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

Interesting point, lt. I too tend to be suspicious of one-time posters but hopefully they'll all turn out to be regular TA posters.

I'm not sure what the problem is with lillyvalley's post. She is reporting an unpleasant experience that she has had. Too many people seem to be saying that she's wrong because Amar/Omar is a splendid chap. He may well be but that doesn't invalidate what LV is saying.

I've just booked for Marrakach in March. I do expect an element of rip-off when we're there - an inevitable consequence of the no fixed price, haggle-based tourist economy that only ever benefits the seller. However I don't expect to be told by my travel agent that the proce we agreed on Sunday has gone up, without a very detailed explanation.

The point that there could be a communication difficulty is well made but unfortunately it really is up to the person/organisation making the changes to explain them properly, otherwise you end up alienating potential customers.

Most people have problem free holidays and have no need to complain. The mark of good customer service is how well legitimate complaints are handled and people should consider that perhaps LV has a legitimate complaint before condemning.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

Jimgym3

First timers - quite simple. Some review and forum posts, usually either unreservedly positive or almost slanderously negative are made by people who only ever post and visit TA once. Those of us who use the site a lot tend to mistrust these as being either adverts, deliberate attempts to sabotage commercial opponents or attempts to raise the ratings of a review. By bothering to post a 2nd time you've shown that you're not one of those.

CALIFORNIA
4 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

At the risk of repeating myself, my daughter had nothing but good to say about Omar & her experience. That's good enough for me.

CALIFORNIA
4 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

At the risk of repeating myself, my daughter had nothing but good to say about Omar & her experience. That's good enough for me.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

pandachris2 & luddendenturk

Regarding first timers: Have you ever been in a crowded room and noticed that there are a few people talking and the rest are listening? However, when there is something the listeners would like to say, they speak up. It could be the same here; the “silent majority” are now saying their piece. If we had not spoken up, then you would only have Lillyvalley’s side of the picture. We believe that would do injustice to Omar… based on our personal experiences. The mere fact that so many of us felt it important enough to take the time to post here says a great deal about how strongly we feel... and how much Omar is appreciated for the wonderful experiences he has provided for us.

I don’t think anything is wrong with Lillyvalley’s post. I also don’t think there is anything wrong with us first timers relating our experiences to balance her post. That is what this forum is for... to explore both sides of the issue.

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

Well done everyone for rushing to Omar's defence. Maybe, after so many posts, it's now time to let this thread quietly slip down the list and disappear. Otherwise we'll keep such a dramatic heading on the front page for too long. If anyone is looking for information about Omar, they're bound to come across this jolly little debate.

If anyone hasn't seen my video of Omar talking to me, give it a look under Hotel Ali reviews or under my profile. That'll give you a taste of what the man himself is like.

Give my love to Erg Chebbi anyone who's going, I slept on my own under the stars and it was one of the most magical experiences of my life.

David

Rijeka
1 post
Save Reply
40. Re: Beware camel trip - Amar Berhi on cameltrekking.com

I would like to join up to the discussion because I feel compelled, as so many others to thank Omar for beautiful experience he enabled to all the four of us. We booked the journey well in advance, first in September 2006 because we planned our trip to Marocco for November, but it happened we postponed it for May 2007. However the price remained unchanged, the route was planned up to the last detail thanks to Omar, our driver Mohammad was such a nice man completely devoted to us for these 5 days, and we hd not one single problem throughout our journey. Thanks to him we became fans of this very,very beautifull country and these gentle & amiable people and wd like to come again some time.

I see a lot of other poeple feeled urged to say something in favour of Omar and hope we hv all succeded to annule the sour taste of Lillyvalley's message. Seems to me that for anyone who can see the essence, it is quite evident who is the bad & who is the good guy in this story.

As for LV it really is a pity they are missing the experience of the desert with Omar.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech