We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haggling

Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Haggling

Where do you start? I presume they give a price and you offer less, but by how much? I have no idea what is reasonable. Help!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haggling

start at a third of the price and keep going.Good luck

uk
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haggling

start at one tenth or less, even better dont give them a price, keep complaining that its too high and walk away a little, !! i was offered a pair of silver earrings for 600 dirham, nice earing but not worth that,, eventually the price was dropped by the seller to 50dh - but it took a good half hour !!

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
625 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haggling

I still remember how nervous I was the first time I had to haggle! As long as you are seriously interested in buying, the haggling should be good-natured. These were some of the best salesmen I've ever met! Smile and look confident, as if you are used to haggling and don't feel obliged to buy if you think it's too expensive - they won't sell at a loss, but nor will they want to lose a sale!

Have a great time and enjoy shopping!

Deb

Tamworth (Midlands...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Haggling

On my last day in Marrakech on the way home I had 55 Dirham left and was browsing some pottery, he wanted 350 for it. He bartered a bit but I just said, I have 55 dirham left now so I'l leave it, but he suggested accepting it. I always think, what do you think it's worth and how much do you want it. It's good fun bargaining and trying to get a good deal. Don't seem too keen, but remember they have to make a good deal too. You are more likely to get a good deal if you wander away from the souks around the main square and really get lost inside the 5 mile labrynth. A third of the price is a good place to start.

5. Re: Haggling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 03:19