We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yogurt???

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Yogurt???

I have read that it is not wise to eat dairy products in Morocco. Typically yogurt would fall into that category but I have read several references to it being served at the Riads for breakfast.

I love yogurt--it really keeps the system in order while traveling--but don't want to get sick.

Advise??

Thanks.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yogurt???

at riad yogurt is properly made and hygiene is paramount;elsewhere in Morocco especially in small round the corner dairy shops, I'd be wary.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yogurt???

The yogurt is fine, in Morocco it's called Raib. I'm tired of hearing hearsay about the "dangers" of Moroccan food- I will take my chances on it any day over a sackful of groceries from an US supermarket. If it makes you feel any better, most places would serve the yogurt they get from the bigger stores, it's called "Danone"

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yogurt???

We ate yogurt & cheese almost every morning for 10 days across southern Morocco in the spring of this year.

No problems at all.

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yogurt???

you could always bring acidophilus pills with you to help keep your flora in check. they can typically stay unrefrigerated about a week. beyond that, they dont go 'bad' but they decrease in strength somewhat. It's a good idea for traveling anywhere where you'll be coming in contact with new microbes, etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yogurt???

btw, i agree that the dairy is relatively safe.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yogurt???

That is so obvious--and I never thought of it!! I will absolutely get some.

Thanks so much

NY, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yogurt???

I've been in Morocco for a week now and the yogurt is actually really delicious and usually homemade.

We did get sick for 2 days with "Morocco Belly" but I'm not sure where or from what. I really don't think it was the yogurt but just keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Oh yeah, I'd advise you to bring the proper digestive medicines...they saved our lives!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yogurt???

Exactly which medicines did you take? I was thinking the usual Immodium and some Cipro.

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yogurt???

I've come back twice now with parasites -- if you're continuing to have stomach trouble when you return home, or your immune system is weakened in any way, it would be a good idea to get checked by a doctor. parasites left untreated can cause all sorts of health problems.

10. Re: Yogurt???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech