We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beni Ourain Rugs

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Beni Ourain Rugs

I'm going to Marrakech in Nov. and I really want to find some Beni Ourain rugs. These are the thick shaggy white wool rugs with some brown or black lines. Does anybody know if these can be found in the Medina or do you have to go off into the mountain villages?

surrey, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

Yes they can be found in the medina, go into the carpet (souk aux tapis) bazarre and there are two dealers I know who sell them Bazare Tiznet and Bazar du sud. I used to buy and sell textiles, hence me knowing these two traders - bargain hard!!!

The rugs are beautiful, but if you want an old rug it will cost you.... don't be fooled into thinking that rugs are cheap in Morocco!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

Hi jen

Thanks for the info - I love those rugs too and want to buy some...do you know roughly what a 2x1 metre would weigh and what is the cheapest price for one

Thanks

E

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

Bear in mind that the Beni Ourain tribe is a middle Atlas tribe and so their carpets are probably less expensive the closer you can get to the source (area outside of Fes around Taza). I have seen Beni Ourain rugs in carpet shops in Marrakesh but prices were expensive. There are also much newer imitation rugs that are usually sold as BO, know what to look for!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

Thanks chano

Whats BO?

Can you give me a price estimate please...100 or 1000?

Thanks again

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

After saying Beni Ourain, I substituted BO to indicate the name.

I can't really give you an indication of prices, you'll have to do the bargaining yourself!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

in order for it to be an authentic Beni Ouarain does it have to be an antique...why is a new one an imitation?

Do you know roughly what one weighs?

I drive a hard bargain....do you think I can get one for $100- 300

Thanks again

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

I know they go for about $1500 usd in US rug stores for the 3x1 metre size, so if you can get one for 300-700 you'd be getting a very good deal. This is not for an "antique" but something made recently.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

HI does anyone know where these rugs can be bought at or near the source in the Atlas mountains? I am not good at haggling, also I think it would be interesting to see where these are made. Thanks, Christine.

9. Re: Beni Ourain Rugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech