We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke
Level Contributor
334 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

How long would the journey take assuming normal traffic conditions?

Good directions/road signs?

Easy journey to make?

Likely any trouble/hassle or road blocks en route?

Good standard of road or not?

Plenty of places to stop, comfort breaks etc?

Spending the best part of a day on the train is losing it's appeal.

Thanks in advance.

Uzes, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

Based upon taking motorway via Casa / Rabat:

5 - 6 hours.

Excellent roads and signage.

Very easy journey.

Have not experienced any hassle or road blocks.

Good standard of road. Mostly dual carriageway (toll).

Plenty of service stations with cafes.

Stick to the speed limit as there are a lot of speed checks.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
334 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

Thanks.

Would that be the best way? Was looking at the N8 via Beni Mallal.

Speed of journey is not vital. I'm happy to stop over night somewhere.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

Yes, the N8 highway through Beni is very scenic, with a variety of topography and vegetation.

The trip will take you about the same amount of time as the toll-way through Casablanca and Rabat - and be roughly half the distance - so speed isn't a concern.

Being a secondary highway you get a decently smooth surface, no paved shoulders, slow winding curves while climbing through the mountains, and very light traffic.

Always take a basic highway map, although there are few turnoffs and all major intersections are well signed.

There were no hassles or road blocks in November 2008.

Fewer tourists take this route, so the "comfort stops" are quite basic and you will have opportunity to use your Arabic/French language skills at the restaurants and service stations.

Have a great trip!

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
334 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

"you will have opportunity to use your Arabic/French language skills at the restaurants and service stations."

If I had any I would use them, that's what I'm worried about. Thanks for your help.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

I can't imagine the road from Marrakesh to Fes could take the same amount of time as the motorway, even with the shorter distance the road condition isn't as good, and you are often stuck behind trucks and slower moving cars. It is more scenic, but if you are just trying to get from point A to point B in the safest and most convenient manner, then the motorway is your best bet. Allow for about 100 dirhams in tolls.

For my money, however, the train is still the best option when you also weigh in the expense of driving.

6. Re: Driving, Marrakech to Fez.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:19