We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Australia info please

Sydney. Austalia
4 posts
Save Topic
travelling from Australia info please

I am intending to travel to Marrakech mid July from London with my 24 yr old daughter having travelled from Australia. Can you advise what website to pick up best flight/hotel prices from London to Marrakech? What is the best area to stay (hotel) we only have 5 days but want to be near action ie walking, architecture, markets etc.? but also want to be in a safe area. thanks for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
London
London
England, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Australia info please

Hello. The best way to book flights and hotel is direct. For Flights try Easyjet, Ryanair, Atlas Blue, Royal Air Maroc. They all fly from London.

For accomodation, I would recommend staying in the medina, where all the action is and it is also very safe. The riads are the places to be, small private traditional houses that have been renovated and turned into special, intimate hotels. Regarding which Riad, well, there are hundreds and you can start by looking the reviews in TA and narrow it down to a few then contact the forum again to help you decide. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
157 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Australia info please

Hi Marian.

I just got back yesterday - I flew Royal Air Maroc ... booked on their website and got a very good deal... about £90 all in. At shortish notice it was cheaper than the low cost airlines and without the strict baggage rules.

I usually begin searching something like eBookers.com to see what airlines and times are available and tehn try teh actual airlines websites once I've narrowed down what I want. Sometimes it's cheaper on eBookers.. sometimes it's cheaper via the airline.

(http://www.ebookers.com/)

Easyjet fly from Gatwick, Ryanair from Luton. Depending on where you're going from in London. Be aware with Ryanair that their "low fares" come with a lot of extra costs... sometimes it's cheaper (or not much more expensive and less hassle) to fly a full service airline.

Depending where your daughter lives probably will play a big part in deciding which airports easiest. Luton, Gatwick and Stansted are all a fair way out... but if you've got time on your side, it's not a big deal.

Terravision buses are pretty cheap for getting to Stansted (maybe they do luton and gatwick too - not sure). The trains are more expensive but quicker.

Heathrow's the easiest 'cause the tube only costs about £6 - but i live in west london so it's easy for me. Not the case if I was living in West Hampstead.

Accomodation: 10 years ago, on my first trip to Marrakech, I stayed at a place called Hotel Sherazade ... i just checked and it's still going and it's really well priced for what it is. It's a couple of hundred metres from the Jemma el Fna as I remember it. Beds were a bit firm, but it was a very pretty Riad in a top location for the price. There's no shortage of reviews for it on Tripadvisor to help you make up your own mind.

Feel free to message me if you've got any other questions... happy to help if i can.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Marrakech
Marrakech
Hotel Sherazade
Hotel Sherazade
209 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Barcelona
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Australia info please

For flights I usually check Kayak (http://www.kayak.co.uk/) or SkyScanner (http://www.skyscanner.net/) which compare prices from different airlines / travel agents.

For a hotel, I would recommend you check TripAdvisor and select any Riad in the Medina that catches your eye and has good recommendations. There are a lot of them, I'm sure you'll find one you like on your price range.

I recently stayed in Dar Justo and absolutely recommend it. Our trip was a bit "adventurous" since we flew Royal Air Maroc / Atlas Blue and were stranded in the airport both on the way there and back. So I wouldn't recommend this airline at all.

Marrakech is awesome! You'll have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Dar Justo
Dar Justo
387 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
157 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
4. Re: travelling from Australia info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 07:17