We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

In a previous thread I addressed the issue of aggressive greedy taxi drivers in Marrakech. they're of the 5 things that plague the city. The straw that broke the camel bacj is the incident a New Zealander lady told me this morning. I promised to share her plight with othe TA travellers so they need to be on their guards

With her husband she hailed a taxi from Jemaa Elfna to Majorelle garden. The ride should cost 10 to 15 dh. The taxi driver asked 50 dh. When she asked him to use the meter he pretened it was broken. She is old and tired and accepted. After riding past train station which is not on the way and making a long detour, they ended in front of a pink wall. the driver pointed to a door and said 'Majorelle garden is closed for 3 hours'

It was 11am. H eprposed to drive them back to Jemaa Elfna square for another 50 dh. The brave lady wasn't gullible. she apid 50 dh and asked to be left in peace. Luckily for them an old taxi driver offered to drive them for free to Majorelle. She was so relieved she tipped him30 dh

end of the srory

NowI everybody must act up to stop the masquerade. Every taxi has a number which a tourist should remember before he boards it. Should he or she have an argument with the driver she can report this to the police station in Bab Doukkla bus station. The police will summon him and deal with him harshly( syspended driver licence, fines...) This is the law.

I understand travellers would rather pay than complain because they don't have time to watse, but someone has to start.

It' s also the duty of riad owners to warn their clientts, and why not file the complaint in their stead. If their association lobbies the local authoritiey will comply

Robyn, it was a pleasure tallking to you this morning. let not the taxi driver spoil your holiday

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Bab Hotel
Bab Hotel
339 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
NZ
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

I use the following "semi threatening" behaviour which seems to work. As soon as I make contact with the driver I go around to the front of the car - get out my digital camera and very obviously take a photo of his licence plate - and often the driver through the window. If they are honest and there is no problem they dont have any worries, if they are hoping to rip me off - I have sufficient evidence to identify the driver.

Might I add - I do the same anywhere where the driver is reluctant to use the meter. Its worked in Turkey, Australia, morocco and the UK.

It angers me that the behaviour of a few are ruining the reputation of the country. While tourism is not necessarily the biggest earner, and it can be a two edged sword, without tourism the taxi drivers life may not be quite so comfortable.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

I absolutely agree with you guys. It is about time to do something about the taxi drivers. I have my ways of dealing with them but, boy, does it annoy me when they are trying to con me! I can imagine how stressfull it must be for visitors who have to deal with such an obvious rip off. From the airport arrival (what a great way to start your holiday, eh!!), to the simple short rides here and there. I agree with truebeliever, lets all take the numbers and report these guys. Or get our riads to do it for us!

And Kay,.... great idea this one with the photograph. So simple and I am sure, so effective!!! I hope to soon see people do this in Marrakech!! I will go and shake their hand!! I really think that it is up to us to do something about it. Lets get these guys, lets rebel, people!!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

One suggestion is local authorities shoull have the driver wear a uniform and a badge with his name and taxi number. that way it will be easy to identify the guilty one

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

Hi,

I am sorry to disagree a wee bit but feel that all taxi drivers should not be tarred with the same brush. Yes, there are a lot of crooks but there are also a lot of honest drivers who put the meter on when you get in and don't try to rip you off. Being confident and being prepared to laugh at their price then wait for the next taxi does take patience but often the next taxi to stop is one of the honest ones. Yes, you should report the frauds but don't always assume that this will be the case so please don't stop a taxi and immeadiately go into aggressive mode. If I was a driver and someone started to take photos before even talking to me I would drive on!

I live here but look nothing like a Moroccan so most drivers must assume I am a tourist but as a very regular taxi user I can say that only one time out of about ten do I encounter the bad taxi driver then, as I say, I laugh and wait for the next one.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

far from brandishing all taxi drivers as crooks because there are alos lots of honest and God fearing ones out there, my intention is to sensitise drivers to the paramount importance of tourism in the local economy . A happy tourist will coem back , an abused one will go somewhere else. The honest ones have nothing to fear ; the crooks shouldl abide by the law or find another job

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

Hi,

You are quite correct in everything you say but I don't think many Marrakech taxi drivers read or contribute to the forum so our advice has to be how visitors can negociate the "rules" of how to get a driver to not rip them off.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
201 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

I was in Marrakech last week and this is how I dealt with the drivers.

When I had stopped the driver, I said through the front passanger window (usually open, if not I opened the front door) and said where I wanted to go. If he understood and seemed to know the place, I showed him the meter with my finger and said "meter". If he agreed, I took the taxi and then I never had trouble and it was very cheap.

The majority of the drivers are, however, rip-offs, and they refuse the meter, usually quoting a ridiculous price. I never took a taxi from them, only took a taxi when they accepted to use the meter. Usually this meant that I had to talk to several drivers before getting a ride but I certainly don't want to give business to the rip-off taxis.

All taxis waiting in front of Majorelle are rip-offs, so we walked to the closest street and got a taxi from there.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

I posed such a question regarding how to deal with taxis in Marrakech some weeks ago.

Since becoming more confident with the fares throughout the city as well as my VERY, VERY BASIC understanding of Moroccan Arabic greetings has increased (marginally) I have not had as many problems.

I tell the driver where I am going, if he understands, I get in and don't even mention the meter. When we get to the destination, I get out and hand him the amount that is on the meter (if it is turned on, I usually had a few dirham as tip for honesty) or if he refused to use the meter, I hand him what I feel is fair for the ride. In only one case was the driver upset because he thought I was a "stupid tourist" being dropped off near Jemma al Fna. I shrugged and walked away and he drove away.

Just be nice, take it all in stride and laugh.

Oh, and if you can get a driver to stop who already has a passenger, just look at their meter (if it is turned on) and use that as a starting point for your fare (plus 1.7 DH)... And get in the front seat if you are a male traveling alone. It allows the driver to pick-up up to two more passengers. I have heard some stories about females in the front seat, beware.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

I posed such a question regarding how to deal with taxis in Marrakech some weeks ago.

Since becoming more confident with the fares throughout the city as well as my VERY, VERY BASIC understanding of Moroccan Arabic greetings has increased (marginally) I have not had as many problems.

I tell the driver where I am going, if he understands, I get in and don't even mention the meter. When we get to the destination, I get out and hand him the amount that is on the meter (if it is turned on, I usually had a few dirham as tip for honesty) or if he refused to use the meter, I hand him what I feel is fair for the ride. In only one case was the driver upset because he thought I was a "stupid tourist" being dropped off near Jemma al Fna. I shrugged and walked away and he drove away.

Just be nice, take it all in stride and laugh.

Oh, and if you can get a driver to stop who already has a passenger, just look at their meter (if it is turned on) and use that as a starting point for your fare (plus 1.7 DH)... And get in the front seat if you are a male traveling alone. It allows the driver to pick-up up to two more passengers. I have heard some stories about females in the front seat, beware.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
10. Re: Don't let taxi drivers spoil your holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 05:17