We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dairy products in Moroccon food

Orpington, Kent
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dairy products in Moroccon food

Hi

My husband & I are thinking of having a romantic break in Marrakech next Feb but neither of us can eat diary food (although things from goats milk & cheese is ok). Do they use much butter in their cooking? -I have been reading about Moroocan cakes and wondered if they would normally have butter in them? How difficult will we find getting food that is ok for us to eat in hotel or restaurant?

Thanks

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

You will have no problems with main courses such as tagines, couscous, brochettes, salad and breads. I can't actually remember seeing any salad containing cheese and the desserts are traditionally fruit. As for the cakes and pastries, there are a lot around but I have no idea whether or not they contain butter. It is probably best to learn to ask whether these things contain butter in either French or Arabic so you can ask at each shop individually.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Tajines may have whole eggs, salads with boiled egg, pastries (sweets) have lots and lots of butter. If you are in a hotel then breakfast is buffet style so you choose what you want. Restaurant menus are (or should also be in) English so you will know what the main ingredients are.

There is plenty of scope to avoid dairt products as cafes and restaurants are numerous.

Most tajines are either fish, squid, camel, lamb or chicken.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Forgive me for asking but I was taught by my Tangerian friends to make ciouscous using smim (sorry if I have not spelt it correctly, which I understood to be clarified butter. Is this not correct, or is it only used when cooking in the home?

Truebeliever, you are the expert that I normally write and ask if I need advice on a receipte, would appreciate your response.

Regards

Tangergirl

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Couscous is made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour. Traditional couscous requires considerable preparation time and is usually steamed. Couscous is usually served under a meat or vegetable stew and can also be eaten alone, flavored or plain, warm or cold (e.g., mixed with tabouli) or as a side dish.

In Marrakech restaurants I have seen this on menus as "semoul" - a variation on the spelling of semolina.

5. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 11:17
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Hi,

Couscous does not often involve smen in Moroccan versions but the grains are usually rubbed with butter before steaming.

Orpington, Kent
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Thanks to all of you for your quick and interesting responses. Obviously we wont starve but we will have to be quite careful as butter is used quite a bit in the preparation of many things. Something for us to consider before we book as it makes me very ill - not great if that happens on a short romantic break! ;-)

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Hello,

As a dairy intolerant vegetarian, I can highly recommend The Earth Cafe in the medina which has a choice of vegan dishes. My meat-eating companion also loved the food, juice and very relaxing atmosphere. www.earthcafemarrakech.com

Even our favourite food stall in the Jeema El Fna (no 66) asked before they added butter to our rolls.

Have a great time!

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

I found this foodie blog by a Vegan based in Paris, which has lots of great recommendations for Marrakech and Essaouira

www.veganparis.com/?s=morocco

I hope you find it useful, I did!

Orpington, Kent
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dairy products in Moroccon food

Thanks MountaInbaby - your links are really useful