We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech with kids

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech with kids

Hi, we are going to Marrakech this February with our 12 year old son for a week. Can anybody offer advice on local places of interest & things to do which are likely to appeal to a kid of this age? He enjoys history at school and is arty, would also enjoy visiting a Berber village and we'll obviously be spending time in the souks etc. The other thing I'm wondering about - weather wise, what kind of clothes will we need to take? I'm not sure if it's likely to be chilly or warm and climate info seems to vary.

Any help gratefully received!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech with kids

For more information on things to do look at the left hand side of the screen. There is a heading called 'more on Marrakech'. Underneath you will find a number of subject headings. Click 'things to do' for more traveller information.

Regarding clothing take clothes that you can put on in layers. It may be pleasantly warm in the daytime but cooler after sunset.

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech with kids

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I saw those already and have also got 2 guide books at home, but I guess I was looking for somebody to share their specific experiences with young teenagers and offer advice based on that.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech with kids

I haven't got the experience of taking a teenager (sorry!), although I guess even then they don't all necessarily like the same things. I wonder if he likes history/art, whether your son might appreciate a wander around the 16th century Ben Youssef Medersa (Islamic school)? The calligraphy, tiling and decorative architecture is visually very appealing - have a Google image search to see if you think he might like to see it

sacred-destinations.com/morocco/marrakesh-be…

Because I love vibrant colour, I found the compact Jardin Majorelle a lovely place to visit. An hour here is nice as it's a direct contrast to the hustle of the city as well, and I found myself snapping away at pools, colours and giant cactii. Whether this would interest any teenager - ??. Am just going on the interests you mentioned. Google images again for a good visual idea of the riot of colour. If he likes art it could capture his interest maybe.

How would he feel about camel-riding?

The Jemma El Fna has an exciting feel to it as the sun goes down. It transforms into a place alive with sights,sounds,smoke and cooking. I couldn't take it all in as I approached it for the first visit at this time of early evening, and it was a memorable "first" in life for me. Perhaps as a family, you might find this the same.

Anyway, hope you enjoy as much as I did, and that your son does too. (t's a vibrant place.

England
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech with kids

Thank you so much for your ideas, I'll look into all of them. Can't wait now, I'm in my 40's but I've wanted to go since I was a teenager myself!

5. Re: Marrakech with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech