We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

london
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

I've just bought dirhams from Thomas Cook - approx £90 worth - which they have told me is the limit per person to buy. I've just read some (fairly old) postings on Tripadvisor which say that it is not allowed to bring any dirhams into Morocco and that these may be confiscated by local customs and excise on arrival. Could anyone tell me please if that is correct?

wirral
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

thomas cook are correct you can only take out and bring into morroco1000dh "enjoy"

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

But you can't take dirhams of teh country

wirral
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

As you leave Marrakech airport it has a sign on the customs exit stating you can take up to 1000dh out of the country have a look next time your in the airport.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

since the dh is not convertible it will be of littel use outside Morocco a unless you keep for an upcoming trip

wirral
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

to truebeliever i think you missed the question the person was asking can they bring into morroco appox £90 in dh and the anawer is yes and it will not be taken from her

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

We just took sterling and exchanged it when we got there at a bank.No problems and very efficient. I have a little left over approx £30 but will keep it to use next time I go

Leigh on Sea
Level Contributor
25 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

We're going to Morocco soon and today I checked the Gov UK site for currency and health advice. Read it for helpful information, it says that you can take in any amount of local currency (MAD) but you may not export it. As I do worry a little I found the site to be most useful as this one is. Hope it helps.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
810 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

what rate did TC give you?

Calgary
Level Contributor
410 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

I was recently in Morocco and had no issues bringing dirhams into the country.

10. Re: Bringing Dirhams into Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech