We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

Fallbrook...
1 post
Save Topic
Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

I'll be attending a wedding in Marrakech this summer, a Moroccan woman marrying an American man. I've read about respecting the customs of dress. Can anyone suggest what to wear that is appropriate and dressy?

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

Are you a man or a woman?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

From your question and your name I take a guess that you are a woman.

I have only attended an original berber wedding lasting for 3 days, in a village, where women wore long skirts and beautifully decorated blouses. I decided to wear blue jeans, on top a long black kaftan, and it was fine, as we had to sit on the floor. And I was a foreigner.

As this is a mixed-culture wedding, my best bet would be a nicely decorated silk- dress, full lenght, not too open, covering both arms and neckline. Silk is cool, yet warm, and it breaths in the damp Marrakech climate. Perhaps a matching scarf to accompany the dress.

Hope this helps.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

Hi,

Moroccan weddings are extremely important social events and the women in particular go for all out glamour with elaborate hairdos, heavily embroidered dresses, high heels and all the gold jewellery they posess. Western guests are not expected to wear traditional clothes but a long dress or tunic over trousers with wrap would be nice. The wedding could also go on for most of the night so depending on venue you might need something warmish to throw on in the early hours of the morning. Western male guests should just be as smart as possible.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 11:56
Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

My experience of Moroccam weddings are that they are extremely glamourous occassions, I have been to well over thirty weddings in Morocco, and however glamourous your dress is, it will pale into insignificance in comparison to the dresses that Moroccan ladies will be wearing. Preferably wear a long dress, that is not too low, and if you have a silk scarf use it to cover your arms, though more and more young Moroccan ladies are exposing arms, particularly if it is mainly females in the room, which in Tanger it generally is. Do be prepared for the wedding to go on for a long time, well into the early hours of the morning.

I am sure that you will enjoy the experience and be amazed at the plenour of the occassion.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
5. Re: Attire for a Marrakech wedding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 05:21