We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

I know there's a lot of threads about Djemaa already but I'm curious as to why everyone uses the words "exotic" and "magical" all the time to describe the place.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

you could use vibrant, different and touristy

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

dirty and sometimes scary

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

How about exciting, funny, completely foreign and really like nowhere else on earth.

Ouarzazate, Morocco
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

The place is quite different during the day and at evening/night. During the day it can be charming, busy, lively but at night, I would rather call it (beside of the already mentioned): seductive, stimulating, loud and noisy and yes very crazy!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

Went there recently with my husband and three kids aged 20, 19 and 16 - so not kids really. The square is really just a tourist trap/entertainment spot but the souks are wonderful. Although some people have said don't bother with a guide to go into the souks etc we paid 100 dirhams (about £8 or £9) for 2 hours and thought it was well worth while. Not only do you not get super hassled but you also learn the history of the place. We wanted to go to some specific souks like the dyers souk, the metal souk the slave market etc and quite honestly I don't think we would have seen half of it or learnt as much if we had gone on our own. There is one souk just for slippers that has 164 shops! Unfortunately the guide left us and we then went into the square on our own and the men with the snakes wanted 500 dirhams for a photo - once they had plonked a snake round my daughters neck and then as soon as you are still you have the henna ladies trying to draw henna designed on their hands. Obviously we didn't pay them anything like that but they turn quite nasty. Even when told no they continue and then just ask for a little something. Our guide told us not to eat in the square, not to drink the orange juice as it is just watered down and not to go near the monkeys as they have not been inoculated. All in all a great experience - specially for the young people who I think need to see life! Look after your personal belongings and dress modestly. Our daughter is very blond and was something of a magnet - could have got 5 camels and six chickens for her. One more chicken (cooked) and they might have had a deal!.

One more tip. From the airport into Marrakech a large taxi (Mercedes) should not cost more than 100 dirhams. A "petite" taxi which is a peugot or renault costs 80 dirhams. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

In reply to the specific question, WHY the terms exotic and magical are being used for the square, is that it IS magical and absolutely unique. If you remove the Djaa El-Fna entertainers etc, Marrakech is not Marrakech any more.

Apart from tourists from all over the world, many Moroccoans visit the place as well.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

At nightime my experience was that there were far more morrocans than tourists.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
83 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

Me and my good lady just returned from a long weekend. I would say the square is "colourful", and in many ways!

As for responding to some of the other matters in the posts, my view of the souks was that they were easy enough to negotiate with a decent guide book, as were most of the other sites. We did not get hassled too much and a stern "Laa" (No in arabic apparently!!) soon turned the attention of the locals to other tourists.

We ate in the square for two nights and had absolutely no problems. Standard rules apply, go for the busy stall, avoid cold food and hopefully all will be well.

500 dirhams for a picture is stupid. Do not be intimidated, there are more plain closed ploice men in the square than you imagine. Pay what you think reasonable and be assertive but not rude. 10 to 20 dirhams for a picture is more than enough I found.

Overall we found the place great. Have fun in a special place!!

Lee

Belgium
Level Contributor
116 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

To jeansandco, If they offered you 5 camels and chicken, they were only joking, because they know tourists believe that this is common in Moroccan culture. For your information, woman are not sold for camels nor chicken in Morocco, don't take it seriously. Moroccans like to joke and tease all woman, tourist or Moroccan, blond or dark.

10. Re: Djemaa el Fna--magical, exotic. Any other adjectives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:37