We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting lost!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting lost!

Hi,

I am really looking forward to my trip to Marrakech in September, but am getting worried that I'll get really lost trying to find places. Have been trying to find a detailed street map but can't seem to, do they exist? Can they be bought in the City itself?

Planning to try and walk to most places......

Thanks

Lauren

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting lost!

Hi Lozza!

It will probably take you a day or 2 of wandering to, kind of, find your bearings in the medina. Your riad/ hotel staff will probably walk you to the Jemaa el Fna the first time, which is an excellent, recognizable spot to orientate yourself by. Really, the medina isn't THAT big, so you're never really "lost". It may be a little overwhelming at first, but if you keep walking, it seems that all roads lead to the JeF. Local kids are always willing to walk you back there for a few dirhams. Keep some coins on you, just in case.

Maps aren't really too helpful, as many roads and alleyways aren't marked anyways, so it's all trial & error...But nothing to fear, really. Getting "lost" is part of the fun! You should be fine.

:)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting lost!

Hi,

I have a few maps of Marrakech but like spmm said, they are not much use.

The map may be useful to get an idea of locations of the more notable sites like Palais Bahia, Medersa Ben Yousef etc.

Gettin g lost is a great way of discovering something new each time.

If you want one, click my name and send me your e-mail.

Edited: 14 May 2010, 23:12
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting lost!

There are few people who can function in new places only by map, me being one of them, order orientate myself.

As OP mentioned about the CITY, you can purchase various maps of Marrakech in a good bookstore, to find your way at least to the new town, plus main streets etc. Can be useful.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting lost!

Hi there!

Concerning maps..usually no use to buy one.are they are usually provide by riads&hotels when you arrive..!

Any way..as said friends..good part of the fun to get lost..!

You'll always find an helpfull kid who will take you back to the right place with a few coins for present as already said.

Cheers!oliver.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting lost!

Thankyou all for your re-assuring words.....feel a bit better about it now!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting lost!

I found a basic map (acquired from our Riad) together with the compass on my Iphone perfect.. Because when you are in the Souks, if you know which direction you are heading it gives you a much better idea where you are when you finally emerge. Finding the Djemma el fna from the Souks is a piece of cake if you have a compass.

My tip therefore is to take a small compass with you. Doesn't need to be very accurate.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting lost!

Thanks for that, good idea!

8. Re: Getting lost!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:17