We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

Switzerland
Level Contributor
43 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

Hello

We are planning a trip with a car and driver from Marakkesh to Fez via the Dades Valley. The only problem is I suffer terribly from vertigo on scary roads. I certainly wouldn't drive myself but I can keep it somehow under control if someone I trust drives and the roads aren't too bad. The problem I don't know how scary the roads are. There is at least one pass, maybe its OK but I've seen photos of the Dades Gorge and that looks definately too much for me which is a real pity. My question is, this route dooable for a person like me? Maybe I can hide in the back with a blanket over my head?

Willie

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

Hi there,

the road between Marrakech and Ouarzazat is fascinating and the views over the high atlas mountains are breathtaking. it is a must see pass. you should be fine although you think not, my best advice is to stay in the front seat and ask your driver to drive gently. i am sure if you tell your driver about your problem,he will drive slowly. however, if you stay in the front seat so that you have the whole landscape in front of you that will b eso much better. enjoy it.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

It’s not the Dades Valley you should be concerned about (as the road in to it is low and in the valley bottom). Like the previous post said, the pass that you take over the mountains to go to the gorges is the real ball breaker. It’s the second highest in Morocco and has loads of switch backs and steep drops off the side (I also suffer from vertigo, but managed to hold it together…just!).

Also, you’ll probably have to go back over the pass to get back to Fes, so not ideal. Best idea is to go on the bus and hide from the view…LOL!

Edited: 15 July 2010, 16:27
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

Hi Willy, we are a couple looking to do same trip. We are looking for a respectable, reasonably priced tour company to do this trip with. Who are you using ?

Has anyone out there had a positive experience with any tour companies in Morocco?

NZ
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

The views are superb. If you get carsick, which can also be part of the vertigo problem, take a tablet before you leave. It will take the edge of your anxiety/vertigo and let you enjoy the visit. One word of caution - this is not a route to travel in a Grand Taxi. Get a driver from a reputable tourist travel agency.

A little will depend on your form of vertigo. If it's feeling like falling from height that is different from the vertigo when you feel like falling when you move quickly.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

Hi, don´t be worry, my bf is suffering from vertigo he too, but he drove superbly by mountains from Ouarzazate to Agdz which according to me is much worse than running from Marrakesh to Ouarzazate. It is so nice there around so you will forget your vertigo.

6. Re: Vertigo problem from Marakkesh to Fez via Dades Valley road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:17