We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to buy in Marrakech

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
what to buy in Marrakech

I dont want to buy carpets - I cant sclepp them from Morocco to London to S. Africa. Nor do I want a lot of junkie courios - been there done that for the last 40 years. What else is there to buy in Marrakech. I believe moccasins, what about leather skirts, or jackets or handbags. Kaftans I suppose - what els e and what are the prices like!.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

My partner bought a coral necklace (antique coral apparently) weighing over 600 grams - it's heavy trust me!

She assures me that it was a good price at 1500 dirhams: the opening price was 3000 dirhams. I remain to be convinced ;-)

Detroit
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

there is pretty 2x3 meter fabric I got for 200 dihram in Essauoria. They also had scarves, I think I spent about $6 for one there. I also got one of those colorful lanterns (they seemed very "Morracan" to me).

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

I fancy the coral or other necklaces - where would be the best place to buy those. I'm not crazy about the "souks" - too much bargaining. I also would like to buy fabric - where could i buy that. - not going to Essauoria.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

"too much bargaining"???

Oh diva...If you're not into bargaining, you may not have chosen the right destination. Bargaining is part of the culture all over Morocco and is expected when purchasing wares, ESPECIALLY for tourists. The souks are possibly the best part of Marrakech. If you avoid them, you will be missing out on a real fun experience...

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

spmm - definitely wont miss out on the souks - just wondering where else to shop - i love to walk around them. I have done the souks in Jerusalem and in Istanbul and bought at both.

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
85 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

We just returned from two weeks in Morocco - and we found two of the best places to shop in Marrakech. The first store is a big jewelry store - and he has every imagineable ring, necklace, bracelet, bead. You need to bargain a bit - but I thought his prices were pretty fair. Khartit Mustapha - 3 Fhal Chidmi, Rue Mouassine, Marrakech. Phone 024 44 25 78. I dealt with Fettah - and bought 3 rings and one pair of garnet earrings. The other shop has lanterns, metalware, glassware - all at fixed prices. The prices might be a little higher than if you bargain in the souks - but the quality of his merchandise is very good. It is Maison D'Artisanat Export, 70, Bab Taghzoute, derriere l'arrondissement, Marrakech. phone: 524 37 61 86. I really enjoyed not having to bargain for everything. The shop is set back a little - but everything is beautiful inside!

Sorry I can't give you directions on finding these two stores but hopefully the addresses and phone numbers will help.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

Thanks Claudia - have made a note of those shops - are they near the souks or near the centre - the medina.? The jewellery shop - was that good jewellery only or costume jewellery as well? What about clothing? - do you get good western clothing as well. Two weeks - you must have certainly covered the whole of Morocco! - Did you do a day trip to the Atlas Mountains as well.?

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
85 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

I think they were both in the medina. Really worth it to try to find them - perhaps with the phone numbers if all else fails. You won't be disappointed with the merchandise. The jewelry shop had mid to better-range jewelry. Not too much cheap costume stuff - you'll find that everywhere.

We travelled to Casablanca, Tanger, Chefchouen, Fes, Khenifre, Skoura, Magdaz, and Touffrine (in the High Atlas) , Marrakesh, Essouira and Oulidia. Some stops were visiting friends that we had met last summer.

Great trip.

Edited: 23 August 2010, 22:51
San Bruno...
Level Contributor
85 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

I didn't buy any clothing so can't help you there. Just lots of scarves - in the medina - great gifts to bring back.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to buy in Marrakech

Scarves; leather goods (I got a nice handbag); you can get lovely lights with coloured glass; plates, bowls and of course Tagines.