We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argan Oil and Black soap

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Argan Oil and Black soap

Excuse my ignorance - till i started reading this had never heard of Argan oil nor black soap. It seems Argan oil is good for skin conditions aches and pains and frizzy hair - just right for me. Now I have read that you get Argan oil and you get Argan oil. What is the story with getting it back on the plane on Ryan Air not in the hold but in the hand luggage. Are you still only allowed 100ml bottles - so even if one wants to pyuy a 125ml you cant. You need to buy 90/100 ml - is that right. I also see most people recommend the Herboristeria Finduous - anyone know how one gets there from the Medina. Also what is black soap used for. What other oils should one buy?

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Hi Divacape,

I would suggest you look at an old thread on the Marrakech forum entitled "buying spices, argan oil, essential oils" (type this into the box) which not only gives the proper address of the Herboristerie Firdaous but contains a lot of other interesting information.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Here are the regulations about liquid in hand luggage:

direct.gov.uk/en/…DG_078179

www.ryanair.com/en/notices/060811-UK-EN

I would suggest that if you buy several bottles you put them (well wrapped of course) in your hold luggage, that 's if you have any. Alternatively perhaps you could send them to yourself via post. I have had flower remedies and essential oils mailed to me here in Morocco from the UK without any problems.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

I think black soap is used as 'Gel' which Moroccan ladies use when they go to the Hamam, it makes the hair and body soft and feels good, I tired it once and was a good experience....Try it and see yourself.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Hi there..!and specialy to our Diva!

first.concerning plane.just be carefull with bottles not to have to let your precious product..at customs..!!

secount of all Diva..for argan specialy..you must be very very carefull..(more or less the same story than safran..!)

i explain.first ..two very differents sorts of argan oil:cosmetic&for cooking..

The best for cosmetic is for hair&skin and just know(i'm dure you do!) that all great western cosmetic group as sisheido&chanel&loreal use in a very small quantity of argan whice is supposed to have great value but very expensive in deed in our western country!

for cooking.great specialy in salads..!and a lot of vertues..

Now..a lot of argan oil are in reality.. not argan ..or diluted with other differents products AND NOT VALUABLE(at all..)..so ,you must buy argan in a good place with good people not to be ripped of and desilusioned Diva!

Around Essaouira ,you can find a lots of small cooperatives producting one of the greatest argan oil and usually giving work to women in countryside which is a great idear to help with unemployement problems in the countryside!

Hope it will help!

Yours sincerely,Oliver.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Hi Oliver - thanks for your information. I want Argan oil for my body and hair so I will ask you to help me find it if you do not mind- and you can tell me about the black soap. Depending on what i buy in Morocco i might or might not have luggage in the hold - thats why i asked. I will not be dressing in my sunday best - want to bring LITTLE so I can BUY BUY BUY!!!!!! Thanks for the liquid regulations link zohor. Think its a bit far to send to South Africa. I suppose i can just buy 10 x 100 ml bottles!!!!!!

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Hi Diva,

So if you are going to buy, buy, buy it looks like you will have hold luggage on the return journey (LOL)!

Seriously though, there are many examples of people posting things, e.g. this person who sent a carpet 7,000 miles:

www.hiptravelguide.com/morocco/shopping.htm

and someone else who sent a carpet to the US for 30 euros - not bad!

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

And through the Moroccan service Chronopost EMS it would cost you 565 dirhams to send 2 kgs. to South Africa. I don't know what the normal airmail cost would be. Just remember to take your item to the post office unsealed so they can inspect it and seal it there at the office.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Just a thought Diva. Did you book hold luggage on the Ryanair return Marrakech to London? I hope so, because it is more expensive to do it at the airport or via the call centre.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Hi Zohor - actually i dindnt. Was wondering and hoping that IF i had a lot of luggage i could book it via the internet in Marrakech. before boarding Ryan Air. Is that possible or do you need to do it before the boarding card is issued for the first leg.I wont be buying any carpets or lanterns, or tagines or things like that. Been there, done that - no souvenirs either. Thinking of moccassins, clothing, jewellery!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

Thanks for the links Zohor!

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Argan Oil and Black soap

My understanding is that you can add a check-in bag to your booking if you do it via the internet (not via the call centre) up to 4 hrs before flight departure. You have the choice of either 15 kgs. for €15 or 20 kgs. for €25. If you just turn up at the airport with an 'unannounced' bag, then it will cost you €45. I don't think you have to add the bag before the outward leg of your journey (even if it is for the return part), but if anyone out there has any experience of this I would love them to tell us.

What I usually do if I am going out only with hand luggage and coming back with a check-in suitcase is to make my outward and return journeys as separate bookings. It's easier that way.

Hope I'm right about being able to add the baggage online. I'm only trying to save you some money for more shopping!

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech