We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Wales
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

My husband I are going to Marrakesh in October for a week and are staying in a riad situated in Quartier Riad Laarouss, just a few minutes’ walk north of Djemaa el Fna.

Wanted to get some advice on how safe the area is, as am a bit nervous?

Also if anyone could recommend some bars which do serve alcohol along with nice romantic restaurants?

I am sure I will have further questions :-) but would be grateful for any responses!

devon
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Hi DelilahWales

My wife and I got back from Marrakech yesterday, having travelled from UK there and back by train.

You will be totally safe there, although the cab drivers and shop keepers will constantly hassle you, you will be totally safe, day or night.

I suggest you ask the people at your riad to recommend places to visit and to go and eat. If they're anything like the people who ran our riad, they will be only too pleased to help.

Have a great time.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Le Tobsil is a very romantic restaurant. You need to book in advance:

Le Tobsil

22 Derb Abdellah ben Hessaien

Marrakesh, Morocco

Tel: 212 24 44 4535

Email: restobsil@yahoo.fr

I also like:

Le Pavillon

Tel: 00 212 24 38 70 40

Wales
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Thanks guys thats helpful.

Do they have any fun bars where you can go for a drink?!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Hi,

Lots of bars; Kozybar, Le Comptoir, Cafe Arabe, Skybar (on the terrace of the Renaissance Hotel in Gueliz)...the list is endless.

Staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

We are just back too, felt very safe, our Riad was in the Medina and I would agree you need to be firm with shopkeepers and youngsters trying to show you where places are, but i have felt more unsafe at night in my own town and other cities than I did in Marrakech. We had a lovely anniversary romantic dinner at le Monceau I had told them it was our anniversary when I booked and I got a huge bunch of roses and a lovely quiet table, . We also on our first night had a meal at our Riad on the candlelit terrace and were the only ones eating which again was very romantic, perhaps your Riad could do this for you.

have a great trip we loved Marrakech

devon
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

We went to Cafe Arabe (detailed above).

Go to the top floor terrace, which overlooks the roof tops.

As in many restaurants in Marrakech, you'll be cooled by a fine mist of water from the ceiling.

The food's very good too!

huddersfield
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Just be very wary of the Grand Hotel Tazi south of the square which does offer alcohol with meals but some rather unattractive bacteria too!

Edited: 16 September 2010, 16:44
Wales
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

All great suggestions!

What tends to be the type of clothes people wear though to go out? Sorry may seem a weird, silly question as usually I like the opportunity to dress up a little (casual/smart) when I go out for dinner or a nice bar, as I dont have much opportunity to do so at home however last thing I would want is to stand out like a sore thumb /-:

Or is it just a matter of anything goes (within reason).

devon
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

Every one I came across in the cafes resaraunts and bars was in casual. The weather there is hot (+/- 35 degrees c. during the day, 22ish at night).

You won't want to be dressing up.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to Marrakesh, advice please!

If you are going out to a nice restaurant/bar, you will not be out of place at all to get "dressed up". I would suggest some modesty (no plunging neck-lines, no short skirts, try to keep shoulders covered, no flashy bling, etc.) and you should be fine.

Remember that there are a lot of Europeans in Marrakech too, who dress to upscale western standards when doing upscale things, like dinner/drinks in upscale places. (I don't think I've ever used the word "upscale" so much in 1 sentence before!)