We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Hi, would love some help with this shopping question. We start our trip in Marrakech then head to Fes by train. We love to shop and with the exception of carpets ( which we've bought on previous trips) do the markets sell similar things in both cities or should we be waiting until Fes to buy Moroccan goodies? Are there things that we won't see in Fes that can only be bought in Marrakech? Would love any one's thoughts and opinions.

Jemaa el-Fnaa
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Marrakech Souk
Neighbourhoods, Flea & Street Markets
Musee de la Palmeraie
Speciality Museums, Art Galleries
East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Pretty much the same stuff is availble in both cities, in my experience.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 00:07
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Thanks spmm, do you think that they have similar prices as well ?( I know you have to take into consideration how hard you respectfully bargain).

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Similar prices, yes.

Try to make sport of the haggling process and it can be good fun.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

My rule of thumb is if I see something I absolutely love I get it at the time as often it may not be available or I cannot locate it quickly. Different if its a basic item but thing like art work are often different in different cities.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

Funnily enough, the latest (October) edition of the Lonely Planet Travel magazine has a feature on Morocco, and highlighting which places are best for which activities.

Fes, Marra, Essa, etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

We are leaving in 2 days, just long enough to try and track down a lonely planet mag. Thanks everyone for your input!

7. Re: Marrakech & Fes.....can you buy the same in both places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 05:17