We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Hi,

Does anyone know the official daily cost of a licensed guide in Marrakech?

The riad I'm staying at in Marrakech quoted 600DH for the day. This is significantly more than what I was quoted by my riad for a guide in Fez.

As a result, I'm wondering if the rate quoted in Marrakech is standard, or if the riad is grossly over-billing. I don't mind paying a bit more for the riad's efforts in securing a guide, but the rate quoted is over twice the rate for Fez and I didn't think there would be a great difference in cost between the two cities.

Thanks for your help.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

the official rate is the same all over Morocco; 150 for a half dayand 250 dh for a full day. Since guides live on commission and to ensure you won't be taken shopping instead of visitingmonuments, some riad owners suggest the client pay more to avoid the hassle of going into shops every now and then.

It doesn't make sense but it is becoming common practice

UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Hi

Not sure if this is going to be of any help but when looking at things to do in Marrakech I came across of a listing for this guy tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293734-d1… I have not used him myself so cannot comment on cost or what he is like but there are a couple of recent and positive reviews and I am sure that if you contact the reviewers they will give you some more info. Otherwise try putting guide into the search and see who comes up with some reviews then contact them and the reviewers. Happy hunting and have fun :)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

> there are a couple of recent and positive reviews

Both reviewers have 1 contribution each. Ask yourself a very simple question: why these people who obviously stayed at some hotels, had lunch and dinner at some restaurants, have not written reviews of these places but have only written a single review of the guide they used? The answer is very simple: because the guy asked them to and provided them with a link to TA.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Hi,

In my opinion you don't really need a guide in Marrakech. With a decent map and orientation from your Riad manager you can find your own way about. Fes is more confusing and for a short visit most people use a guide on the first day but not so in Marrakech. Also IMO I'd prefer to use a local person if I did decide to have a guide (no offence to the person advertised by the string posted by flossytrip).

Edited: 12 October 2010, 10:32
UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

I am travelling with my daughter, and would like an OFFICIAL guide for a half days shopping in Marrakech. We are staying at Riu Pakmeraie, how do we go about booking a licenced guide? If I was with my husband, would go it alone, but travelling as females, and my daughter turns heads here never mind in Marrakech, would like the a secure guide to save hassles. Any suggestions, we only have short break so trying to plan as much in advance as possible. Many thanks!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Hi,

The hotel will arrange an official guide for you.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

Great! thank you!

8. Re: Official Cost of Licensed Guide for the Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:16