We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Is it okay to tip in sterling? Just thinking about newly arriving etc? Can we tip in pound coins, ie porters etc?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

best to get some dirham, there is a bank right near baggage claim

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Hi,

Please don't give pound coins as tips. They can't be changed in the banks so anyone who has been given one has to ask another tourist to change them for Dirhams which can be annoying.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Hmmm I dont really like the idea of travelling for 12 hours, arriving at an airport and then having to go to a bank on arrival for dirhams... really wanted to wait until we get to the hotel..will just have to see then. I always travel with local currency made up in tip bundles ready in my pocket, dont like opening handbags etc at airports... if they wont accept a few pound coins...then might be no tips till we get to our hotel.. I still dont understand the rules of bringing dirhams into the country. Travelex etc dont offer dirhams... but Thomas Cook say they can pre order but not in small denominations. Anyone got any other suggestions, what do you do at the airport if you dont want to go to bank there and then?

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

What about US$ ? Or Euros? I have both of these? Is a few $$$ any bettr than pounds?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Hi,

there are luggage trolleys at the airport so you can wheel your cases through arrivals by yourselves and if you've arranged transport to your hotel (which will be included in your bill) you shouldn't need to tip anyone?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Hi,

Sorry your second post came through before my last reply! As long as the notes are in very good condition (no ink marks or tears) they'll be OK, just no coins please.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

but getting money to tip and just to have some ready is part of traveling.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Cheers shimmin! If cant get any durhams will take notes just in case and be happy to give that bit extra for inconvenience of currency. I always have a supply of single dollar bills which seem to get accepted worldwide, a few of those would be worth more than a few dirhams:)

Charley48, precisely why I asked the question, I hate not having tips to hand, although I have transfers etc included, I am a stickler for being prepared, am very well travelled, and this is the first time I have faced travelling without local currency. Even arriving in countries such as Kenya, I have always had my "tip wallet" readily prepared:) If for any reason I needed help, and was unable to tip, I would be VERY upset:)

Trumpington
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Hi. I found that Euros were acceptable as tips - notes of course not coins - and you could easily do this until you get yourself some dirhams. If you don't want get yourself some local currency at the aiport you can easily withdraw them from ATMs when you get to town. Just ask at your hotel where the nearest one is. There are quite of few just off the Djema el Fna. Have a good holiday!

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

Thank you! Taking euro notes and dollar notes for arrival, and will get change at hotel, thanks so much:)