We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking forward to going!

North Wales
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking forward to going!

Hmmm, getting a bit nervous after reading some of the reports so may give this forum a miss until after Christmas! Then, i will be asking so many questions before my friend and I go in May! As you may gather from my forum name, both of us are rather mature (sounds better than older!) but we have a lot of 'get up and go' about us! We are reading up on customs, trying to learn the odd words of Arabic, (hopefully will sound ok with a scouse accent!)(i did do a post when we first booked and forum members were very helpful) So wait to hear from me!! We are going to have a brill time!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking forward to going!

I went to Marrakech on the "must go!" say-so of my 60-odd (at the time) mum, who stayed in a very basic hotel with a number of international and younger backpackers. She had more get-up-and-go than many people thirty years younger. They explored the souk and medina together, and took off into the Atlas mountains together, and she had a great time. It's the best recommendation she ever made to me too :)

Use your common sense, get a couple of good guide books, eat some good local food, speak to other people you meet, and ask your hotel/riad staff for info/recommendations if they speak English. And by all means search these forums and ask away. Bet you'll have a great time.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking forward to going!

I saw many mature persons there in Morocco and they are OK so you not need to be nervous at all. Wonder and ask here on forum how much you need.

Regarding to communicate there, you can manage it with English without problem, but it can be funny to learn a little Arabic of course. And Berber too because most people there are Berber. But they speak Arabic too. And English.

3. Re: Looking forward to going!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 22:26
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking forward to going!

dustyjoe, sorry, I not understand what you mean, can you explain more?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking forward to going!

DJ - wind it down a bit, otherwise you'll help spoil otherwise good threads.

You are doing your homework before you go, and so there's no reason why you shouldn't have a great time, the same as thousands do every year.

We really enjoyed Marrakesh, it's different from anywhere you'll have visited before, you won't like or agree with some things you witness, but to get the most out of a visit to these wonderful destinations you need to accept them, warts and all.

Also with regard to your last post, don't forget that the people you are talking about probably don't have English as a first or even second language. So there is always a risk of misunderstanding in translation.

6. Re: Looking forward to going!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 15:05
Edited: 10 December 2010, 15:05
7. Re: Looking forward to going!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2010, 13:05
North Wales
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking forward to going!

Just to say a big thank you for your replies everybody, yes, i am still reading the forum! We went to Turkey last year, the first time on our own, got the guide books, checked out Trip Advisor, and went for it, had a great time. So we know we will enjoy ourselves, we will eat moroccan food, and explore as much as we can. Staying in a hotel as we didnt know how to go about booking a riad, and felt happier going through a travel agent as not very clever on a computer! Must admit, we have viewed riads on the web and would have loved to have stayed in one but never mind, maybe next time! Taken all advice so far on board. You will be hearing from me again!!! ps twextthepennines, love the sound of your mum!! (Beryl, my friend, her family has told her not to fetch any toy boys home, my family have said not to fetch any stray dogs or camels!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking forward to going!

hippuOaP

Plenty of donkeys as well in the souqs.

You'll be able to hear their shoes though, so you shouldn't get run over.

Whereas if you were in Fez the donkeys wear rubber shoes ( so they don't slipon the slopes of the souqs), and you do need eyes in the back of your head!

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking forward to going!

We are also hippy retirees from North Wales and now winter in Morocco. We are just back from 6 weeks there and will be out again for 2 months in the New Year. You will have a great time. Message me if you want.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech