We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Myself and my partner (late 30s) are heading to Marrakesh/Morocco tomorrow for a week. Obviously a last minute trip! I'm usually super organised but this is winging it. I ordered 2-3 guidebooks/maps off Amazon on the weekend (priority delivery) but they've not arrived, so we won't even have those. Any suggestions on an itinerary!? Ive booked us in for 3 nights at a riad (Checkaoui) in the medina in Marrakesh but beyond that..

We're outdoorsy people, like to explore (hiking etc) - so certainly would consider heading out of Marrakesh, even maybe renting a car - but the onus is on not too much hassle. We've just had a crazy month so although used to adventure holidays with a fair bit of stress I'm not entirely sure we're steeled for that to a great extent this trip. Then again, we might be!

All ideas greatly received - including on basic stuff to be aware of..

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Wing-it down to your local Library now before it shuts, and borrow a guide book!

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Good suggestion but sadly no time (don't live close to one)! Besides aren't the local libraries all shut down now.. ;-?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Hi,

There's so much to recommend it's almost impossible to start on such short notice. Have you got time to have a look at the things to do tab on the left? This lists the most popular attractions and as it says "things to do". The restaurants tab will give you loads of ideas about where to eat. I would personally say a must do while in Marrakech is to eat at the foodstalls in the square (I prefer No.1) one night. You could do a day trip into the Atlas (Ourika or Ouirgane) and an overnight to Essaouira.

Enjoy.

Edited: 13 December 2010, 18:24
Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Thanks alot for this. I guess 1 option is to get out to the desert - either renting a car or getting a driver to take us. I read that this is probably at least a 3 day/2 night trip though (or more), so thinking an option might be to at least get as far as the Dades and Todra gorges and perhaps overnight and turn around from there. Would that be sensible? I wonder also how cold it will be up in the high Atlas, if we were to decide to get out for some hiking.. Anyway, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

Go on Marrakech's night life.

6. Re: Leaving tomorrow for 1 week, into Marrakesh - itin ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:40