We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange.

Travelling to Marrakech next week, for the first time.

Normally we exchange sterling locally. Are there many places to do this and if so where are the best rates? What is the current local rate?

Grateful for any responses.

Many thanks.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange.

Hi,

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

is a good converter site and you can change cash in any bank/bureau de change in Marrakech. They are all the same government fixed exchange rate. Make sure your banknotes are either new or in very good condition (no tears or pen marks). There is a useful article on this subject in the Travel Guide section on the left of the page.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

Edited: 03 January 2011, 17:09
UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange.

Thank you, question answered!

Kind Regards

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange.

The last time I exchanged currency in Morocco a few weeks ago I noticed a few decimal points difference between places, so if you are changing a significant amount it might be worth checking with a few places before exchanging. I found the best rates at the Banque Populaire on the pedestrian street 'rue bab Agnou?) that connects the Hotel Tazi to the Djemaa el Fna. If you change at a bank, don't forget to bring your passport and hold onto your exchange receipt as you may be asked for it should you need to convert left over dirhams back to pounds when leaving.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange.

If you are intending taking money out of your UK bank, then carrying it to Morocco, and changing it into dirhams, why not just take out dirhams from an ATM in Morocco?

Saves any issue of losing it in transit.

UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange.

Thanks for responses.

Usually the rate given is not so good, and there is a charge.

Brighton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange.

I am going this week end and read that I could take my euro's and change them is this best does any one know please? Would it just be as well to change some money by a machine in the airport when I arrive many thanks!!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Exchange.

Any major currency can be exchanged for dirhams in Marrakech. If your normal currency at home is sterling take some with you and exchange for dirhams in Marrakech. If you have some euros left over from a previous holiday you can take these and exchange them for dirhams. You do not need to exchange sterling to euros and then exchange euros to dirhams in Marrakech.

Yes, you can take your bank card and take dirhams straight from an ATM once you arrive in Marrakech.

Don't bring traveller's cheques as they can be a nuisance to exchange.

Whilst I understand it seems a little daunting to travel to a country without having the currency, it is very easy to obtain dirhams in Morocco as there are literally hundreds of banks and exchange points.

I hope this helps.

Brighton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Exchange.

Thanks for your reply. Is the rate going to be the best it can at the banks at the airport? I have travelled before beleive it or not but not for awhile on my own!! Thank you.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency Exchange.

Hi,

The banks are all the same government fixed exchange rate.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 12:15
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency Exchange.

I know the regulars are used to answering the same question over and over.

But twice (see #1 and #9) in the same thread?

That's dedication......