We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what language in Marrakach?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what language in Marrakach?

I assume the locals speak a form of Arabic, which I have no knowledge of. I know a little French, will most locals know French as well?

In terms of menus at restaurants, will most of these be in French, or English as well? Am thinking of restaurants away from the tourist traps, which I assume have menus in about 10 different languages!

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what language in Marrakach?

Hi,

Moroccan Arabic, French and then English. Expect almost everyone to speak the 1st 2...English is not always guaranteed but lots of people speak a little bit of it. I'd suggest brushing up on your French as it will probably come in handy.

cheers

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what language in Marrakach?

I don;t think I've seen more than 2 languages on menus - and away from the tourist traps, you generally just point at a lump of raw meat on the counter.

A few words of Arabic would help you enormously. Even 'please' and 'thank you' (and "NO thankyou') are worth knowing.

The menus don't tend to be very extensive, and tagine or cous cous will be the majority of choices, with the pigeon pie a regular.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what language in Marrakach?

In the main square at night the language will be Cockney Slang, "see ya later alligator!"

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what language in Marrakach?

We found that being able to speak French (albeit not very well!) helped especially in those 'non-touristy' restaurants where you will find the menus in French only.

5. Re: what language in Marrakach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech