We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

political unrest

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
political unrest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 18:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: political unrest

Oh no! You're not serious? We're due to fly out on 26th Feb!

I'll follow FCO advice myself... will be glued to this forum and BBC news for any local updates as well.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: political unrest

If true that will be the second holiday i have to worry about, due to political unrest. I fly out on the 22nd. There have been lots of people swearing blind on this forum that the Moroccans would never protest etc. I had my doubts, on this occasion i hope my doubts are wrong.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: political unrest

What does 'apparently' mean ? What are your sources???

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: political unrest

Morocco is a safe country; as for demonstration on Feb 20, nothing is definite. people are raising the possiblity on facebook, but the government has not given the green light yet. My feeling is there won't be mass demonstations across the country. Even should there be demonstrations they will be contained

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: political unrest

According to Morocco Board News Service the authorities have given permission for the rally.

I've seen various rallies in Morocco before (transport issues, human rights and others) and they have all been good natured if somewhat serious. No police presence, no violence. Let's hope it's the same this time.

The only area I would suggest tourists avoid is the bidonvilles (tin can townships) around Casablanca which were the focus of trouble nine years ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: political unrest

Not wanting to worry anyone. But I did a google search at lunch time, here are some links. Nothing from recognised UK press yet... so who knows.

…indiatimes.com/news/…7430321.cms

news.ph.msn.com/sci-tech/article.aspx…

…yahoo.com/thewest/…

kent
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: political unrest

Please say you are joking this is not my year, supposed to be going to Egypt in March and Marrakech in May.....I think blackpool looks quite nice now!!!!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: political unrest

Hi,

Egypt is certainly in turmoil just now and today Mubarak has again decided not to step down so goodness knows when it will be a safe destination for tourists again.

Morocco remains calm and relatively uninvolved with problems in the so called "Arab world" (which only exists in my opinion in the media's vocabulary). Not wanting to be labelled as someone who "swears blind" that protests can't happen here but as someone who lives here, has many Moroccan friends and is up to date on what the mood is in this country I'd like to point out thet the "protests" scheduled for the 20th are actually pro Mohammed 6/government rallies intended to show the world that Morocco is proud to be a Kingdom with a long history and intends to continue in it's pro-west welcome of tourists from all over the world.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: political unrest

Couldn't agree any more with shimmin, everyone here in Morocco seems dumb-founded when the westerners question the motives for the 20th feb demos and as already said by shimms... it's a pro king demo - no-one here is fazed by how we (the westerners) may perceive it - or maybe over hype it.

Well that said - god knows?

Hopefully it will be something very casual and not get out of hand.

Best : )

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: political unrest

We are in the same boat. We are due to fly in feb. 28-March 6th. We will lose whole coast of trip if we do not trave, but is it worth it? If you do go ahead would you please post your take on the situation?

Best of luck.