We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies

edinburgh
Level Contributor
87 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Mossies

Hi, I have done a search but didn't find info relevant for beginning of May when we go to Marrakech. I react very badly to mosquito bites and almost always wear trousers and long sleeved tops in the evening when anywhere abroad. Can anyone advise the likelihood of mosquitos early May? It would be lovely to wear a skirt for a change, but of course this is an invitation for them to fly up and bite if sitting outside in the evening! Andy advice gratefully received.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mossies

Mosquitoes are not a problem in Marrakech.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mossies

Be prepared—it's always a good idea to pack insect repellent. What the Americans call 'noseeums' are a real pain (literally), but coming from Scotland you'll know all about midges.

Boots do a handbag-sized spray with 50% deet concentration, alternatively look for impregnated wipes that are also convenient to carry.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 09:36
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mossies

You are as likely to encounter mosquitoes in Marrakech as you are to find midges in Edinburgh. I have personally never come across mosquitoes in Marrakech in all the years I have been there.

marrakech
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mossies

there is no moskitos in Marrakech, sure some in the gardens and green spaces but not everywhere.

regards,

Salma

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mossies

In the city there are fewer mosquitoes. If you go out to the countryside, near vegetation, you may find more. I understand your concern because the only mosquito in the country will always manage to find me! I would suggest that you use repellent, mix some 'jungle formula' with your sun cream, just in case but still bring your skirt.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mossies

Hi,

Sorry but Salma is quite wrong to say "there is no moskitos in Marrakech". There are sometimes mosquitoes in Marrakech but they are seasonal and usually only in the wet season, ie. over winter, and rarely encountered through summer. It's too hot and there is little standing water then. UKZak is lucky indeed to have never been bitten by the little buggers here, must have visited at the wrong (right!) time of year. Bring an insect repellant cream and antihistamine just in case.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mossies

Yes mozzies like still water. They tend to be thin on the ground in cities but wherever there may be ponds or slow flowing rivers, they'll gather.

If there's a mozzie around it'll find me and ignore him indoors. I have found that I am less of a target since I started taking Vitamin B complex..I was advisd on this by a lady in Tavira Portugal . I had been feasted on by both mozzies and sand flies and needed medical attention. Since I started taking the tablets..you can take them 7 days before you go and during or all the time., I seem to have been less of an attraction. We also take a mozzie machine wherever we go and at night instead of my usual moisturisor, I use Avon's Dry Body oil which also appears to be effective. If you do get bitten, the little guns that deliver anti-histamine straight to the spot ( as it were) I also find effective.

I speak as one who over the years can always prove she has been somewhere warmer on holiday even though I never tan!

Edited: 18 April 2011, 09:57
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mossies

I hate any flying biting nasties, in fact I think I have an actual clinical obsession with avoiding wee beasties….and I find Morocco (including Marrakesh) a pleasure due to the lack of the demon mozzies. I’ve had a couple of bites (one was a nasty sand fly bite while in the gorges) while in Morocco, but nothing much when in Marrakesh. There’s quite a few wasps (my other arch nemesis), but very few mozzies to speak of.

If I can….you can.

marrakech
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mossies

shimming2rober.. I didn't say that there is no mosquitos in marrakech!! I also said that there is some in the gardens and green spaces ( wet/ humide places ).

however, I agree with you, it's always a good idea to bring an insect repellant cream and antihistamine .. just in case.

regards,

salma

10. Re: Mossies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:18