We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

I booked a riad with a site called www.villarenters.com last fall for a trip to Marrakesh in March. The Riad that I booked is called Dar El Saba. I paid in advance and received an email saying we would be met by the housekeeper who would be there all week. There was no one to meet us at the airport and we finally took a taxi that dropped us off in Marakesh, We hired a guide to take us to the address but it turned out to be an abandoned bulding. We returned to this "property" on three separate days. There is no sign indicating that it is a riad and the address is written in chalk on the wall. The neighbors told us it is not a riad, but there is man who comes by once in a while, and they hadn't seen him in a long time. I have photos to document this.

The emergency number the owner provided is not even a working number. We used GPS coordinates to find this address so there is no chance we were mistaken as to the location.

Because we were traveling with a three year old, this was a nightmare experience. We got in late at night, had to take a taxi, were led to this non-existant "riad", found no one there, and then were forced to try to find a place for the night. We finally did find another place for the week, which cost us more than twice again the price we had already paid for this non-existant property. Please do not confuse this property with Riad Dar el Sabah (with an "h") 2, which is wonderful!

What I find very sad is not only that we were completely bilked of our money and put in a precarious situation in a foreign country, but also that Villarenters did not honor their refund policy, and even worse, continue to offer this "property" to future unsuspecting victims.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Hi,

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

You seem to be getting a and ah confused as you posted a good review here?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

That's not good?

I am assuming you have already approached villarenters.com i.e. the villa is non-existent, but is collecting money from renters?

Are you the first person to use this so-called riad? How come others have not confronted villa renters with the same issue.

Best : )

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Currently the only riad that the site shows is Dar Sabah (WITH an H) - Dar Saba without appears to have been removed from the site.

www.villarenters.com/searchresults.aspx…

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Very confusing. Can you clarify,OP?

. Dar Sabah is showing, as LaLico says, on villarenters as a self catering establishment.

Dar el Saba is here on TA with mostly very good reviews (including yours)although some do say you cannot rely on the taxi turning up at the airport and that was your complaint also.

You also,Bill give a good review of another riad which I assume is the one you moved to.

If Dar el Sabah on villarenters is the offender , it's still on their website and it would indeed be useful that others were warned about what happened to you. Such a shame if a good riad were confused with something else and people did not book all on account of a confused "H".

Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

No, they are not the same - look at the spelling.

6. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 09:05
Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Yes, of course i contacted Villarenters - many times. I have no idea whether others used this riad or not.

Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

No, this the bogus one -Marrakech house

Morocco / Marrakech / Property ref: 25397

Reviews (38) RS Index: 862

Dar Sabah is an traditional Moroccan house in the heart of the Medina of Marrakech. more...

Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

Yes i am aware of the problem. The bad one is still on Villa Renters and is listed like this -

Marrakech house

Dar Sabah is an traditional Moroccan house in the heart of the Medina of Marrakech. more...

I will make another post to clarify

Casteau, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware: Rip-Off Riad and rental Company

OK everyone - here is the non-existant riad as posted on Villarenters web site:

Marrakech house

Dar Sabah is an traditional Moroccan house in the heart of the Medina of Marrakech.

Needless to say they did not post my review!

Please don't confuse this one with a number of good riads with similar names in Marrakech!

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech