We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

I'm looking at buying a small Authentic Moroccan Tagine and some Moroccan Bowls - I do have space in my bag thankfully!

What would you suggest a usual price would be to pay for these from the main square? I'm not bad at haggling but would like a rough estimate from someone who has previously bought.

Thanks

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

A basic unglazed small tagine should be around 60dh but you might struggle to get down to that price in the middle of Marrakech.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

OK Great! Thank you very much!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Hi,

If you go away from the square you will find things cheaper. Try to get to Rue Bab Doukkala (it should be on any decent map) where the locals buy tagines etc and you'll get a decent one for 30 Dirhams or so.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Just for my further information..is that for the plain brown earthenware ones?

I ssume these are oven-proof and are they safe for gas and electric rings too?

i noted the beautiful coloured and decorated ones and I assumed they were for serving only..am I right?

I'd like to pcik up the brown basics next time, Insh'allah, we visit .

In the mean time,because we were rather loaded with our lovely lampshade, I came home and bought two oven-proof ones in our local department store sale. Nothing romantic about them but they have done us a good couple of authentic recipes!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

I second Rue de Bab Doukkala. There is a man that parks his cart near to the small mosque and the spice stall (also near to Riad Kniza) and he provides good quality tajines at a good price.

The plain brown tajines are for cooking. If it is unglazed you need to cover it in cooking oil and let the oil dry overnight before using it for cooking. Yes, they can be used on the hob.

The decorated tajines are to be used as serving dishes and should not be used for cooking.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Hi,

The tagines can't be used on electric hobs, only gas and not in the oven and the highly decorated ones are indeed only for presentation.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 22:43
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

I have used now for 2 years successfully a plain brown tajine dish on electric cooker with no problem (in a country where I live now, gas cookers unfortunately are rare). I place 3-4 small coins on the cooking plate, and then the tajine dish.

After having said that, of course, the tajines dishes do not last forever.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Morocco..what a great tip. You can buy diffusers for electric hobs and I wonder how successful these are. My tagines are Western made and ovenproof yet not for the hob.Some commerical Western ones on offer are very expensive but of course guaranteed for use on thecooker top and in the over. I was lucky to but mine for £15 especially as they had been £50!

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

Buying Tagines. I have learned a lesson here, flying earthenware tagines home. Not only are these extremely heavy, difficult to transit without getting smashed, but the bases are prone to cracking under heat stress with the charcoal burner, as I found out, rendering all a waste of time, so quite agree buy nice glazed ones just for serving up. Now I only buy Aluminium tagines with deep bases 40 mm not only do these weigh next to nothing, but are very durable cheap to buy, and as they stack into each other very practical, and if you go self catering in Morocco you will be supplied with these, going in the souk, you will find them very popular among the locals, the best way to clean them is with a stainless steel pad. I have quite a collection of these now and usually make 2 meals week using this method, I have always had an inspiration for this way of cooking, and being so easy to use, and fast 30 minutes perfect. COST. As said best get away from the touristy areas and haggle, A 380 mm wide x 40 mm deep should cost you no more than 130 drhms, 290 mm x 40 mm 75 drhms 260 mm x 40 mm 50 drhms. ACCESSORIES. Heat shunts or diffusers are very important, if using a naked flames, 5 drhms each, tagine mats 10/15 drhms each.

10. Re: How much should I pay for Tagines/Moroccan Bowls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:17