We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

Hey,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has any experience of visiting Marrakech as a gay couple? We're two young guys (20 and 22), who want to visit Marrakech, but are worried that we're going to get trouble for staying together or because we're two male tourists without any women. We're intending to stay in a hotel, because we thought that they might not have as much of a problem with it as a Riad, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or any comments about it. We don't look particularly 'gay' as such...

Are we being over worried about it?

Ali & Kai

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

your best bet is to use the search box at the right. many threads have been written on the subject. as long as the appearance in public is tamed, go and enjoy morocco...just no affection in public.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

ps...just typed in "gay" in the search box, and there is more info that you want to read!!!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

You are not the first gay couple to visit Marrakech and you are unlikely to be the last! If you are normal people I can't imagine that you will have any problems being two males travelling together. If you don't want to draw attention to yourselves in the hotel it may be an idea to book a twin room rather than a double bed.

I have come across many gay travellers and people who live in Morocco who act normally and have not encountered issues.

As long as you don't try to push your sexuality on to other people you shouldn't have any issues.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think we were getting ourselves a bit worked up over nothing really. We just wanted to check with people who know what they're talking about haha. Thanks again!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

when are you guys travelling? we're going 16th august!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,031 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

Hi,

You won't have any problems. And don't discount Riads, most are happy to accept gay couples. Morocco is a very popular destination for gay travellers and Marrakech is a very liberal city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

I can't see any reason that you would have problems in Marrakech.

If you don't want trouble, don't draw attention to yourselves.

somewhere near...
Level Contributor
223 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

There are gay friendly riads in Marrakech if you look for them. Like the others have said, exercise a little discretion in public and all should be fine. Enjoy.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

None of the British owned riads that I know have a problem with gay visitors although Moroccan ones can. One thing 'though: overnight stays by guests of the visitor(s) are not permitted and the brigade touristique will follow up on this. This applies to both genders and unmarried straight couples. Hotels should adhere to the same (unwritten) law, although I believe that some "turn a blind eye" when sufficiently "rewarded". You need not worry, Ali & Kai, you will enjoy this liberal city.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is it for gay tourists in Marrakech?

You will see a lot of men holding hands as they walk along - they are not gay. It is a sign of friendship for two straight men to hold hands, something which at first seems a bit odd to a British way of thinking!

Just giving you a "heads up" ;-)

Have a great time