We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
312 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Hi forumites,

I've literally arrived back from a fabulous trip to Marrakech et. al. and will be willing to field any questiona i can about my experience.

I will post a trip report shortly, however I'm happy to share any up-to-the-minute advise with anyone. in the interim.

Blue

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

There are official guides who have completed the necessary studies and have registration with the appropriate authorities.

There are also many unofficial guides who don't have the required training and registration.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

You don't really need a guide but if you do go with a guide make sure he is official. He will have a pass he should wear when he is with you. Unofficial guides are operating illegally and can be (and often are) stopped by the police and even arrested. Don't encourage them.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

The guide we had was an "offical". I suppose in the UK, like a local council taxi badge. He wore a lanyard around his neck with his ID and licence number etc, and was just wonderful! I have lost his card :(..doing the house hunt to find it as so want him again for our next trip!

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Hi,

You really don't need a guide to get around Marrakech, however in the heat and if you want to get up to the mountain and coast you might need a good driver with good communication skills and knowledge of the culture and society.

I found used a driver with utmost integrity, making my trip fantastic.

Blue

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Personally, I think that initial half day with a guide with the "proper badge" is worth it to avoid the risk of standing around looking lost and puzzled, pulling out a guide book and being a target for every chancer. We blessed the riad for finding us a gem of a man who showed us great sights, was an interesting commentator, fended off any unwelcome attention and gave us the confidence to venture forth and enjoy the rest of our stay. On our first visit , we were 20 mins from the square and really appreciated his advice .

This last visit no, we didn't need one ..only 10 ins and quite straight forward route and a mobile phone provided by the riad.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 10:16
Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Hi,

I'll be hiking up mount Toubkal with a friend in the Atlas next week. I have 3 free days in Marrakech after that.

1-What would you recommend in terms of activities? Is it worth staying in Marrakech all days or should we visit the coast for a day, or some other place?

2-Would you recommend pre-booking a hotel or will it be easy to find good accomodation on the spot (reason being that I'm able to see accomodation and location and bargain on price? Can you recommend a good hotel close to main attractions/center at about eur 100 per night single room B&B?

Thank you

Gangwon-do, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Hi Everyone

I've been looking through the Morocco forums all evening, but can't find the answer...

I'm a 33 year old woman traveling with another woman the same age in mid-late November. We wanted to avoid Marrakech to got to Fes and then into the Atlas mountains or a desert tour to experience something a bit different, but I read on here that Fes can be a bit intimidating... We would also be interested in the idea of staying somewhere remote in the Atlas mountains for a few days, is remote a good idea for 2 female travelers?

The other thing I'd like to know more about is - are there buses between cities? For example, is it easy to find a bus from Marrakech to Fes?

Sorry, I know I'd be able to find the answers in a guide book, but don't have one yet!

Thanks for any advice you can give about cities.

Erika

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

The train to Fes from Marrakech is the easiest way although it still takes 7 hours. (Why do you want to avoid Marrakech?!)

Two female travellers should have no problems - see the "Top Questions" box on the right of your screen - "safety/female travellers".

And in my opinion do not waste your money on guide books: the answers are here on TA when you become accustomed to finding your way around this massive website. (Also guidebooks tend to be out of date by the time they are published.)

I hope that you and your friend have a very enjoyable trip.

Gangwon-do, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Thank you Pilobolus2011

I read up about safety but it seemed to be all about Marrakech, and although it certainly isn't dangerous it sounds like it could be quite annoying, which is why we are thinking of going somewhere a bit less busy. I think we'll probably just spend one evening/night in Marrakech though.

Good call about the guidebook, thank you. I think I do need to consult a map of Morocco though, didn't realise Fes is 7 hours from Marrakech!

I'll try to remember to post a review of our trip with information about where we went, how we got there and what we did :-)

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just arived back from Marrakech and surrounds

Hi,

In my opinion, the Fes medina is more claustrophobic than the one in Marrakech, but also a bit more authentic feeling, maybe. However, I'd still recommend Marrakech as a "must see" city for a 1st time visitor to Morocco.

Like Pilo stated, the train is cheap and comfy between major cities. Busses, rental cars or car & driver gets you to the Atlas or desert. There is no shortage of transport options for all budgets.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech