We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport

bridgend
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
passport

going to marrakech on sep 10 but the wife has only 5 months left on her passport will this be ok thanks.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport

No, you need a minimum of 6 months. I personally would not risk it. Your passport details are taken on arrival so you are unlikely to slip through unnoticed.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport

If you act quickly you may get your passport renewed before then but bear in mind it is still school holidays now so things may move slowly.

Bet bet - go to the passport office in person and get it sorted.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport

If you want a new passport urgently, then you can go to the Passport office in Newport and get it done on the same day for a little extra money (or premium 1 week service). You will need to make an appointment by calling them on 0300 222 0000.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 00:54
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport

Almost every reference I've seen says six months, however the Moroccan official government website says that for visitors arriving on a package holiday (i.e. return flights already booked) need only to have a passport valid for the period of stay. See http://www.maec.gov.ma/en/visiinterEN.htm

pagosa springs
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport

There was the same topic several weeks ago. Someone had only 3 more months valid on their passport. At the end they decided to travel and had no problem. Check out this forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k455…

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport

The other post refers to someone who had a US passport, the person in this post has a UK passport, I think there are different visa requirements for the two countries.

I personally have seen someone refused entry at Marrakech airport because their passport was not complient, I dont know how much time they had left on it (or what the exact problem was), but all I can remember is that the woman was in tears and her husband shouting at the passport control officer, they were eventually taken away by airport security and I don't know exactly what the end result was.

It will probably be OK but would I risk it, no-way........

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport

Entry requirements for US is the same as UK. Here's a list of countries exempt from entry visa, www.maec.gov.ma/fr/consulaires/sansvisa.asp

Print out the link provided on response #4 and take it with you. Here is the equivalen text in French: http://www.maec.gov.ma/fr/visitinter.asp

The airport staff can hardly argue with information provided from a Moroccan government (gov.ma) website! The MAEC website is the Ministere des Affairs Etrangeres which translates to the equivalent of the Foreign Office Ministry.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport

Almost canceled my trip because I was leaving a week ago (March 2012) and my US passport is set to expire in July 2012. Well, no problem getting into Morocco. If you read the US State Department Web site, it only states that you need a valid passport to enter.

Morocco's not so great consulate Web site says that Americans just need a valid passport. The only thing about six months is for visa holders - they must have a passport that is valid for at least six months.

So I learned a great lesson - be careful what you read on Internet forums.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport

The page I referred to above has gone, but I found a similar statement at diplomatie.ma/Conseilsauxvoyageurs/tabid/156…

"For foreign citizens arriving to Morocco as part of a tour:

* Passport valid, covering at least the length of stay in Morocco, is required."

Cambridge
Level Contributor
487 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport

You could just get one anyway, the unexpired months just get added to your new one so you don't lose out. My husband renewed his by post at end of Jan (didn't bother with Post Office check or anything as it was a straightforward renewal). He received his new one within 2 weeks - though I guess it might be a bit longer now. Daughter needs a new one for August trip as hers will actually have expired by then.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 17:03