We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping- Your favorite experience?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping- Your favorite experience?

From what I've gathered about Morocco and a big part of the reason that people trek there is the fabulous shopping!

I must admit that's what I'm super excited about!

if you wish to, please share your most beloved souvenier from Morocco and what you paid.

Also, if you have any "must-do" shopping experiences!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Not exactly a souvenir but an organic cure for my psoriasis. This was thirteen years ago.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Near the top of this page there's a facility to search the Marrakech forum. Stick shopping in it and you'll find a pile of previous similar questions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Thanks Tim. I searched, and didn't find anything to my satisfaction.

Others- feel free to share!

Marrakech, Morocco
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

you could try Shooping in Fes and Marrakech as a famous places known by the shopping in fes you could find old, pure stuff, and in Marrakech could find a touristy things.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

440 shopping threads and nothing to your satisfaction?

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

My advice is just wander aimlessly in the souks with the intention of getting well and truly lost (in Marrakesh and Fes) I would defy anyone not to find something they would like to buy!!

Bargain hard and with good humour.

Some of the things we bought;

leather slippers, wooden carved boxes, woolen cushion covers, soaps, spices ( so you can make wonderful tagines when you get home) scarves, leather bags (Fes has very good leather bags, belts etc) rug, jewellery etc, etc. All depends on your budget and amount of space in your suitcase!!!

Went in October and bought all our Christmas presents. Great!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

I like to buy cd's of Moroccan music but haggle fiercely as the traders almost always ask for €10/100Dh which is far too much, 20Dh is the going rate for tourists and about 8Dh for locals; I always walk away empty handed but then the trader hasn't robbed me either so lucky me!

I also buy jewellery but walk away if the price is not right, I walk past again about 10 minutes later and am instantly recognised and the haggling recommences with favourable results.

Items made from thuja wood or onyx carvings are easy to haggle over. Some of the clothing items in the souk are trash and fall apart quickly.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Tim, I think people just like to discuss their experiences. I know the forum is not a chat room but current experiences are more useful than old threads, don't you think?

Our best purchase or at least the husband's was the lamp we have hanging in our hall..which is tall being a chalet house. Cheap and cheerful glass..we have never seen anything like it at home and he also watched them being made and put together. Haggled with both the youngster in the shop and then the owner. We wandered off with it wrapped in newspaper . On visiting the Earth cafe on the way back to the riad, the owner of the cafe insisted we wrapped in bubble wrap he had lying about after a mirror delivery. Of course the journey was accompanied by cried of "Hiya Aladdin". Me I'm another who loves to "window-shop" and being able to do that in the souk is an art..beleive me. My favourite shop ..a ladies co-op..no haggling..lots of discussion about argan oil.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 09:38
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

ej47 You have me intrigued about the ladies co-op,is it the Berber ladies who have this to sell their argan oil and is it in the medina?Thanks Tinkla :)

Oh,while we are on shopping does anyone have a rough idea how much argan oil is? Thanks :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Argan & ARGAN..great question here..

if you want a good one(and genuine Tim..) you must pay a little my friend..!

Should cost between 150 dh to 350dh the litter depending of the quality & year & where does it come from & pressure..acidity..more or less like olives oil(zitoun..!! in Arab..!)which cost can change hugely regarding the quality..

You've got two different ..one for cosmetics and one for food(better for salads but not cooked..)

one should be 150 dh per litter for the one for food and the one for cosmetic should be more or less 350 dh/litter as said..

You can find good and trustable places to buy argan but never do with the guys going from coffee tables to tables to sell what is in fact not argan..or very diluted..!

You can also buy some argan oil apart of the souks in Essaouira(favorite place for me..) or when you go to Ourika's valley..& co

Hope it will help!

Faithfully ,Oliver.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech