We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping- Your favorite experience?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping- Your favorite experience?

From what I've gathered about Morocco and a big part of the reason that people trek there is the fabulous shopping!

I must admit that's what I'm super excited about!

if you wish to, please share your most beloved souvenier from Morocco and what you paid.

Also, if you have any "must-do" shopping experiences!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Tinkla, just to add a little to Oliver's post, the womens' cooperatives are indeed found en route to Essaouira and Agadir (after all that is the region where the argan trees grow) and are state supported organisations for widowed and divorced ladies. The two that I have visited are of interest as the whole process of argan oil manufacture is in place (after the goats have done their business!) You can buy the oil and various cosmetics there, including soaps and face creams. Agreeing completely with Oliver, do not be tempted by roadside or cafe vendors as the product that they sell is adulterated (with sunflower oil - or worse!) Marrakech supermarkets have named brands (and presumably better quality control cf the Spanish olive oil fiasco of several years ago).

As an aside I should perhaps mention that argan oil is becoming a bit passe amongst the culinary and couture fashionistas. The next "big thing" is Barbary fig oil. Remember you heard it here first!

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Thank you Oliver,those prices are amazing! In the UK you will pay ... baldwins.co.uk/Base-Oils-And-Accessories/…

£104.95 for 500ml thats 1,344 dh 2,688 for a litre can that be correct?!

I think I need a cup of tea...Tinkla :)

Oliver,just a thought if you can get me address for the Ladies co-op I could trade you a bottle of Hellmans and a nice bar of dark chocolate ;-)

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Thank you so much Pilobolus,that is fantastic information,just what I was looking for are you living in Marrakech to and partial to Hellmans and chocolate! :) Tinkla

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Chocolate???

I’m in Essaouira a the minute and..should get other recommendation from local friends..if you give me some hours(just precise the eventual quantity to be efficient.)

Sure than other fellow members will give you some great recommendations before mines..!

our “fantastic and reactive" Pilobolus2011 noticed..i was missing a lot chocolate.. ah ha!!

Concerning chocolate...the soonest will be the best!!ah ha!!

and let's not forget we can handle summer temperature with good parcels..so..maybe no use to wait for winter..??

www.vitargan.co.ma/eng/cooperatives.php

www.shoppingaumaroc.com/…

http://www.argan-assaiss-essaouira.com/

enjoy!

Faithfully ,Oliver.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Thank you Oliver, I will be over in Marrakech in 41 days, maybe I would arrive before a parcel ;-)

I would be looking for about 2 litres of this magical oil,my friends would be delighted to have gifts of it for Christmas and in small 100ml/150ml/200ml bottles in plastic if that is possible as I am travelling with Ryanair who are the worst airline in the world for excess baggage charges!

Thanks again for your kind help Tinkla :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

hi again Buddy!

it may not be a problem with contacting directly one or the other address(or other one.)and you'll find easily the way to have your prefect packaging i suppose..!

Concerning the rest(chocolate & pleasure to have a drink....)..i will count each day..

Cheers my friend!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Well, I just knew that our Oliver would beat me to the chocolate question! But I'm still here in Marrakech though so if you would like to leave the said item with me I'll be sure to make sure that he gets it. Or not!

And it's heresmyreply that likes Hellmann's mayo.

Back to the argan bit of this thread I should mention that Barbary fig oil is not in fact anything to do with figs. The oil is extracted from the seeds of the fruits of a cactus which is widely found in Morocco, commonly called prickly pear. The "Barbary fig" tag is a marketing ploy. One litre (liter) of oil is currently on sale at 1000 Euros (correct, one thousand!)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

We will wait util..the tourist(opulent ones..) come back..to think about your oil.. honey..I’m afraid..ah ah!!

huge kisses from Essaouira(without chocolate i presume..)

I now leave you..to go to the beach as the weather is just gorgeous!!(means you will do without my good (or bad..) comments and jokes for a short while!

Cheers !Oliver.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

Hello Pilobolus2011,

Did the organic cure for your psoriasis work? If so what is it? Where in Morocco did you purchase it? I've got a friend who has really major issues with it as well as psoriatic arthritis - plaques in the joints, and would love to find something to help her out.

Thanks!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Shopping- Your favorite experience?

I have probably been misleading re the argan oil. I didn't get it from the Berber co op but from a little shopping mall where some of the shops are run by girls..there are fashion shops,hand made jewellery and leather work. I also found what wanted..argan oil hair serum which does wonders for my curly frizzy hair. There was also oil for face and I spent time talking to the girls about its' merits and also bought a little leather clutch bag. No haggling, relaxed , not cheap but not pricy either. It was just around the corner from the Cafe Arabe. No do not by from vendors who approach you in the street. I also bought small bottles of serum in the airport.I also found a lovely boutique with unique designs of tops and dresses. Hamsa with the hand of Fatima integrated into their logo. My top has a great "faded" print of a Berber or Oulaid Nail dancer's head and glorious headress.

An awful lot of the shopping in the souk provides you with lots of opportunities to buy Chinese imports but hey that's the way of the world and trade. There is one stall who sells mazuma ropes and more authentic Moroccan scarves and boy are they hard bargainers..I think they know they have "something different".

I think I'll pass on the figs as I am alternating with coconut oil and olive oil!