We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

After reading many of the reviews on this website and reading the forum posts it would appear that many people are more than happy to "haggle" with taxi drivers and pay 40 Dirhams for a journey that would have cost well under 10 Dirhams if the meter were to be used.

I have been to Marrakech twice and both times I made a point of always insisting that the meter is used to calculate the fare, if this request was declined, (probably happened twice out of 30 or so journeys i made), then i would simply say thank you and walk away.

I'm intrigued as to why so many people are happy with this or think its the norm to pay at least 4 times the price for a taxi, and that's after they have "haggled"!

P.s. Dont expect the meter to be used on airport journeys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

I always insist on them using the meter otherwise, I walk away. I think what they charge tourists is disgraceful! It may not be a lot of money but letting them charge touriats over the odds for a short journey lets these people think it's ok!

Haemeenlinna...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

These Taxi drivers are a real example of greed and disrespect!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

Hi,

1. Flag down a petit taxi.

2. Get in and state your destination.

3. If the driver starts to discuss the price say "on the meter please".

4. If he refuses, get out and flag down another.

They are not all out to rip you off and many, many times I get in and there is no discussion, no problem. But....some days you get two or three in a row trying it on and it drives me nuts too :-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

My experience was similar.

I got a taxi at late evening but darkness always causes disorientation so even though I may only be a few blocks away from my hotel I may not know it.

After I stated my destination, the driver immediately said in a very loud voice "20Dirhams". As I knew the fare to be around 10Dh and it was dark I said nothing and we proceeded.

Also it was very busy in the evening with so many other people after a taxi I was in a way lucky to get this one.

On anthoer instance during the day I flsgged a taxi as I kept getting lost when trying to find Jardin Majorelle. The driver was much older than the other guy and made no attempt to overcharge or to say the meter was not working, a typical ruse I believe.

When I meet an honest taxi driver and the fare is low I always tip, otherwise there is nothing extra offered.

ps - whenever possible I always walk, even from the Golden Tulip/Siaha in Hivernage to the medina.

Walking does the give opportunity to see new sights which does give me pleasure.

pps - dodgy taxi drivers are also a feature of other heavy tourist areas such as Agadir but if you know the fare and the driver does not state his rate in advance, then I pay what I know to be the correct fare.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 09:16
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

The frustrating thing is when you get a few taxis in a row refusing to put the meter on, then I think is it better just to pay 20 dirhams (max) than hanging around waiting for an honest driver.

The usual request is 50 dirhams, but a fare on the meter very rarely goes over 15 dirhams. If the driver tries to overcharge you at the end of the journey then pay what you think is right and walk off.

east anglia, uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

We have just got back from our second trip to Marrakech, and on this one used taxis a fair bit to get back to our Riad right in the north of the Medina from the Square. We paid a max of 20 dh during the day day and 30dh at night, just sate the address and say 20dh, if a no walk away... we found no driver declined, we also did a great deal eith a taxi driver to collect us at 5pm Sunday and take us tothe airport for 100dh.. he greeted us like a long lost friends and apparently had been at the pickup point since 4pm so as not to miss us! The Riad charge us 15 Euro on our arrival, so a bit less on departure!

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

What would you pay a taxi driver at most for the Djemaa el Fna to the Riu tikida gardens in la palmerie?

I want to make sure i dont get conned if they refuse to use the meter.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

I think the correct strategy is to get in the taxi, or maybe even before you get into the taxi, and state where you want go and then say "un counter min fadlak" which is "meter please" in a combination of French and Arabic- this seems to work virtually all of the time, and if it doesn't and they start saying how the meter is broken or they try and arrange a fixed price, just say "la shukran"/"no thank you" and walk away, they will probably soon change their mind, if not, find another cab.

I think the key is to make sure the meter is on and running before the journey starts, this eradicates that awkward moment at the end of the journey when they ask you for 100 DHS and you know that you are being ripped off but they dont care!

I have a house near the big Marjan, on the outskirts of Marrakech, just behind Guilliz and when i go to visit i never have to pay more thank around 22 DHS to get a taxi all the way to Jamaa el fna, which is right on the other side of the town!

I must stress that I very rarely have any problems with taxi drivers (with the exception of ones taking me to and from the airport), 95% of them have treated me fairly and not tried to rip me off, so it must all be in the technique.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

Kickinchicken- I have had a look on the map and the journey to Riu Tikida gardens from Jamaa el fna is probably just a bit shorter than the journey from my house to Jamaa el fna, so I reckon you ought to pay around 20 DHS. The problem I have found is that its near on impossible to get a taxi driver to use his meter if you are getting it from the taxi rank near where all the horses are outside Jamaa el fna, its probably best to walk 5 mins down the road and hail one.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis in Marrakech- Haggle or insist on the meter being used

Nab121, do you know how muchfrom Jamaa to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie, Route Fes, km 6 Annakhil, Marrakech 80000 (further out than gardens above), but perhaps only twice as far. Reading reviews of hotel on here people seem to be haggling down from 500 dirham to 100 for day time and 150 for evening which seems lot compared with above.